Why are my sway bar end links bent?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Terry Veiga

Why are my sway bar end links bent?

Post by Terry Veiga »

Hello, my new-to-me '72 F100 has what I assume to be an aftermarket 1-1/8" sway bar. I'm replacing the end link bushings and noticed the rods are bent. Is this an indication of incorrect end link length and/or improper sway bar mounting? Thanks. -Terry
bent-end-links.JPG
swaybar.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TERRY : 1972 F100 Ranger XLT SWB
2WD, 429/C6, A/C, P/S, P/Disc
In His Holy Name
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Why are my sway bar end links bent?

Post by basketcase0302 »

Has someone been doing this with the truck prior to you owning it?
Real...easy to bend if they've been bottomed out by harsh driving. :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAFKqkifqBM
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

Ideally the sway bar should be parallel to the control arm and the endlinks are perpendicular to those.
If when installed at ride height, then the install is fine.

As Basketcase noted, if the wheels are pushed back excessively they will pull and bend the endlinks.
Check your RR bushings are not worn. If they are, then there is no proper fore/aft control of the wheel(s).

This can be used to check any vehicle that you may want to purchase, if the endlinks are bend, the car has met something in the road and hit it hard. Be it a pothole or curb.
-Michael
Terry Veiga

Post by Terry Veiga »

Thanks Jeff and Michael, I actually do notice a very slight bow in my driver-side I-beam so I wonder if that is a clue to prior damage (BTW, is ‘control arm’ another name for I-beam?). How feasible is it for a machine shop to straighten an I-beam (if it's even possible) versus sourcing a good used replacement (or are they available new)?

The pivot and radius bushings look intact to me, but I’m replacing them since everything’s apart and they’re 45 years old. I don’t have the spindles/wheels on the front end yet, but I assumed I could simply jack up the I-beam (or should it be relative to the radius rod instead which is about 1/2 inch difference?) until the level was centered, and then I leveled the sway bar and took a measurement for new end links. However, I’m now guessing that this measurement is best done on the ground with the full suspension and wheels installed—is that correct?
End-link-measurement.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TERRY : 1972 F100 Ranger XLT SWB
2WD, 429/C6, A/C, P/S, P/Disc
In His Holy Name
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Terry,

I'd never heard of I-beams being called control arms before, (having worked on many Ford cars that had actual control arms that connect the front suspension-but maybe someone else here can chime in on that too? You have a very valid point that never discussed before because there are few front end alignment technicians who even know how to do it anymore, (set the caster and camber on our Ford trucks by heating and carefully bending the front I-beam(s)). As far as I know this is the only way the caster / camber on our trucks other than an oblong bushing I'd seen that's made which connects the I-beam to the frame rail. And yes you are correct about the wheels needing to be on it and sitting on the ground to set to toe and caster.

If the truck presently has drum brakes right now is the perfect time to re-think simple, (for you as your this far into the front end) front disc brake upgrade like this:

http://www.fordification.com/tech/discbrakes01.htm
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

That looks to be an Addco anti-roll bar. The end links are bent due to misalignment btwn the mount and the anti-roll bar's end hole.

Fab new plates (slightly longer) or reposition the anti-roll bar rearward.
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang