F-500 Rear Lug Nuts. Any ideas on how to break them loose?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

F-500 Rear Lug Nuts. Any ideas on how to break them loose?

Post by tsherry »

The subject just about says it all.

My 71 F-500 has developed a sticking RR brake, and I need to break the lug nuts loose to remove wheel, drum, and then get into the dual -cylinder braking system.

The nuts are 1.5", so this ain't like working on a -250.

Thanks, all in advance.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: F-500 Rear Lug Nuts. Any ideas on how to break them loose?

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

A half inch drive ratchet, extension to get the socket back in there, a long piece of pipe and 1 inch wood scraps to stack to support the end of the ratchet or it will just slip off and cause major pain and garage words....... :evil:

That's how we used to do it on the grain truck on the farm when I was growing up....... :wink:

Also a big bowl of Wheaties beforehand doesn't hurt...... :lol:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Never worked on an F500, but my F350 has left hand threads on the driver's side rear. Just a thought.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

Jacksdad wrote:Never worked on an F500, but my F350 has left hand threads on the driver's side rear. Just a thought.
Exactly.... Nothing like struggling for an hour only to find out your going the wrong way. Should have an L on the stud if you have the open lug nuts.

cstoyer
68 F250 4x4
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Happily the studs on this truck are marked "R" and "L" for thread direction (LH studs on drivers' side), so at least I'm not making that mistake!

I've used a 3/4" breaker bar with extensions, supported, and a 6' long bar, with 200lb me jumping on it. So far, none have budged one bit. I may heat them up later today with a propane torch and try again. I suspect that these wheels have not been removed since at least the 1980's when the truck probably went out of 'municipal' service.

Here's a pic of the beast in question.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

or, money.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

tsherry wrote:I've used a 3/4" breaker bar with extensions, supported, and a 6' long bar, with 200lb me jumping on it. So far, none have budged one bit. I may heat them up later today with a propane torch and try again. I suspect that these wheels have not been removed since at least the 1980's when the truck probably went out of 'municipal' service.

Yea.....if you've done that the my idea is crap........ :eek:

Sounds like its time for the heat wrench and a big impact....... :(
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

Lug wrench torque multiplier is your friend.

Try beg/borrow/steal one before you torch anything.

Demo
-Michael
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

If it was me, I'd swing by a big truck shop and let them use their 1" impact to break 'em loose for me. Then say "Thanks!" and go back home and finish taking them off.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

sargentrs wrote:If it was me, I'd swing by a big truck shop and let them use their 1" impact to break 'em loose for me. Then say "Thanks!" and go back home and finish taking them off.

:yt:
Or if there's a mobile service that'll stop by .
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

I do have a commercial tire shop not far away. I'll ease the truck down there and have them break the nuts loose. Talked to them yesterday and they said 'no problem'. (This after trying heat on one of the nuts, and having no joy as a result).

or, money.
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fastEdsel »

Am about half finished restoring my 1956 Chev 1700 series 3 ton truck. I know it's a Chebby but my 1949 Mercury M155 is next. :thup: Our local tire store has a travelling crew that repairs tires at farm yards so I called these good guys. The wheel nuts on the GM are 1 316" so I had to order the right 1" drive socket. I couldn't believe I didn't have that size in my arsenal of tools but now it's there. I prepared the truck by jacking up the rear axle, set it on blocks and when the guys came it was a challenge but they got the job done and a 6 pack to go. :D I know there is some satisfaction about doing things ourselves but once in a while I do cry "Uncle" and get in the professionals. I got the brakes restored, ordered the 1 1/2" brake cylinders from CARQUEST and the old truck is back on the road c/w a LT1 350. :wink:
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

fastEdsel wrote:Am about half finished restoring my 1956 Chev 1700 series 3 ton truck. I know it's a Chebby but my 1949 Mercury M155 is next. :thup: Our local tire store has a travelling crew that repairs tires at farm yards so I called these good guys. The wheel nuts on the GM are 1 316" so I had to order the right 1" drive socket. I couldn't believe I didn't have that size in my arsenal of tools but now it's there. I prepared the truck by jacking up the rear axle, set it on blocks and when the guys came it was a challenge but they got the job done and a 6 pack to go. :D I know there is some satisfaction about doing things ourselves but once in a while I do cry "Uncle" and get in the professionals. I got the brakes restored, ordered the 1 1/2" brake cylinders from CARQUEST and the old truck is back on the road c/w a LT1 350. :wink:
Cool. My business partner has a '56 Chev 3800 dump truck. He bought it for $400 about ten years ago out of a farm field; put a battery and gas in it and drove it the ten miles home. Unreal.

or, money.
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Took 'Bucky' down to Les Schwab this morning. With their 1" air wrench and some very interesting sockets, all the lugs and the thimbles were loosened up in about three minutes. Pretty.Darned.Impressive.

And they didn't charge me, which was even better. I think I'll bring them donuts tomorrow.

or, money.