Removal of wires thru steering column

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Removal of wires thru steering column

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

In the process of converting over to power steering and pulled the steering column to change the shaft when i decided while i have it out I'd sandblast and paint it and am at a loss on how to get the wiring harness out without cutting it and splicing it back together which i really dont want to do......... :eek: is there any way other than that?
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
71Fe2O3

Re: Removal of wires thru steering column

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

Do you mean the wires that come off of the turn signal switch?
They run down a channel within the column, exit through a hole and go to a connector.
No need to cut and splice.
One way to disconnect them is to gently pull them out of the connector-I held the connector in my hand and used needle-nose pliers to pull out the wires.
When I did mine I made a map of the connector, noting the orientation and which wire from the switch connected to which wire(s) coming out of the connector. I also checked it against the wiring diagram on this site.
Disconnect them at the connector, remove the turn signal switch (directions are on this site if you need help) and pull the switch and wires out the top.
Putting them back in is more challenging. I used a long zip tie, fed it through the channel from bottom to top, taped the wires to it and pulled it through. You could probably also use a length of stiff wire, or just tape them together and feed them through patiently.

On second thought, maybe I am not understanding your question, because you would have to have disconnected these wires from the connector in order to get the column out of the truck.
If you already have the column out, just detach the turn signal switch and pull on the attached wires.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Thanks guys! Just what I needed - I gotta figure out why the hell I can't get pics to load........it would make life sooooo much easier....... :cuss:

:fr:

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Ohiotinkerer wrote:I gotta figure out why the hell I can't get pics to load........it would make life sooooo much easier....... :cuss: :fr:
With the advent of new phone camera technology, photos are getting to be higher and higher resolution which makes for some huge files. The forum will only accept photos of a file size 500kb or less. Since Photobucket's holding photos for ransom, here's how I upload photos. http://www.w.fordification.com/forum/vi ... 1e5133bd75 If too large I use Photoshop to resize but MS Paint works just as well.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Thanks Randy - guess im just gonna have to do it on my PC.......liked the convinience of doing it from my phone or tablet but guess i gotta do what i gotta do...... :(

1997 Honda CBR 900RR