Brake drums

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

massillon preacher

Brake drums

Post by massillon preacher »

Have others experienced this. I have what I measured 11 1/32 x 3" drums on my 71 F100, I have been looking at getting new drums at lmc, npd, macs, autozone, summit racing and some others and some say 3" and some 2 1/4", why do they show different sizes like that even though I put in all the same info for my truck?
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Brake drums

Post by TNIceWolf »

What I found out when i purchased the brake shoes for mine at auto zone is that there were two widths available for my vehicle using the same info for my truck. You would think a one ton dually would be just one but thats not so. Apparently there is a regular duty.....the narrower width....and a heavy duty....the wider one. If you go to the counter to purchase shoes they ask which width you have......if you have a good clerk. Their website wont show that sometimes especially for an older vehicle. It seems to me that the online sites dont cover every aspect of parts.( But they probably do carry the part you are looking for ). It takes talking to a knowledgable staff member sometimes to get the right answers when you run up on that.
Find 'em....Buy 'em....Fix 'em.....Drive 'em....Love 'em

HHC 4/67AR.... Bandits.....88-92

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
1989 Chevy S-10 Tahoe ( It gets me to work and back and fetches parts and groceries)
1981 Buick Regal ( My deceased uncles last project/driver....renamed project Regal Eagle to be finished in his honor)
1990 Ford F-150 ( Miss Yvonnes Daily Driver )
My F-350 project http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=41744
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Brake drums

Post by colnago »

Another thing you could to is to order a "Marti Report."

https://www.martiauto.com/martireports.cfm

Basically, you provide the VIN, and he can see what options your truck left the factory with. Maybe this will be able to identify your brake option, and you can use that info for ordering your parts. I think my Marti Report cost about $20. It won't tell you what the dealer did, or any mods over its lifetime, but it's a starting point.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.