Brakes

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

sb4boys

Brakes

Post by sb4boys »

I am in the process of restoring my 68 f-100 and want to keep it as original as possible. I would like to keep the drum brakes, but not sure of their reliability, especially in today’s driving environment. I have never driven a vehicle with drum brakes and would like your advice as to keep them or upgrade.
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Brakes

Post by ultraranger »

Replacing my '69 F100 drum brake front suspension with a '77 F100 disc brake suspension is one of the best swaps I've made to my truck. It's all pretty much bolt-on stuff. If you ever wanted to return it to drums, (don't know why anyone would), it would just be a matter of unbolting the disc setup and bolting the drum setup back in.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
lamogo33

Post by lamogo33 »

Hello and nice to meet you. If your concern is reliability then as long as they are rebuilt with good components and maintained they will always be reliable. I own a '52 Ford with 4 wheel drums and have no desire to change them. The only advantage I see in swapping brake components is when the original stuff is hard to come by, or even impossible to locate. But really the decision is on you.

My two cents... Don't change them if you don't want to.

HTH
1928 Model A Sedan
1952 Ford Tudor Sedan (Mainline)*
1992 Chevy K1500 ECSB w/a 454*

* = Daily Driver
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

I second the 'don't change them'. Make sure the brakes are all new including the flexible lines. After the new shoes break in and conform to the drums they are all good.
Maybe if you have a hot rod truck with a 460 in it, you might need front discs.
geradr4

Post by geradr4 »

Drum brakes are reliable as long as they are properly adjsuted and in good shape.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I just converted my '67 drums to discs. To me, it came down to how I was going to use the truck. I find the discs more "snappy," and I want to be able to tow. But if you keep it as a daily driver, you should be fine. I think my drums would have been fine if the rest of my hydraulic system was properly set up.

:2cents:

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.