69 F350 Brake Job

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

lamogo33

69 F350 Brake Job

Post by lamogo33 »

Working on a 69 F350 DRW's brakes and have a few questions.

I've ordered new calipers, brackets, hoses and pads and began digging into this yesterday and quickly realized the last person to touch these (last licensed in 98) didn't assemble the driver side correctly. I immediately noticed the caliper could move around while still bolted on to the spindle and one pad was not wearing evenly. It appears there should be something on the pins that attach the bracket to the spindle to tighten everything up and keep the pins clean. Rubber boots maybe? Mine had none. Also upon partial reassembly I noticed the lower mount hole for the caliper bracket pin is oversized and causing the free movement on the caliper and possible uneven pad wear since it is kicking it cockeyed. Is there a standard procedure for fixing this? Brass bushing or something?

I found a caliper rebuild kit on a major parts distributor's website and am wondering if that is what I need?

Also, how does everything get used? The black basket looking thing is my biggest question but other parts would help too! I believe the springs are for the pads, which have already been assembled to the new caliper with new hardware that came with the calipers. Any guidance would be helpful as I do not wish to buy parts that are not needed.

Lastly, are the pins for the pads and the calipers the same? Need to order another set for each caliper I think. Thanks again!
Last edited by lamogo33 on Wed May 03, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1928 Model A Sedan
1952 Ford Tudor Sedan (Mainline)*
1992 Chevy K1500 ECSB w/a 454*

* = Daily Driver
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 69 F350 Brake Job

Post by basketcase0302 »

lamogo33 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:08 am
I've ordered new calipers, brackets, hoses and pads and began digging into this yesterday and quickly realized the last person to touch these (last licensed in 98) didn't assemble the driver side correctly. I immediately noticed the caliper could move around while still bolted on to the spindle and one pad was not wearing evenly. It appears there should be something on the pins that attach the bracket to the spindle to tighten everything up and keep the pins clean. Rubber boots maybe? Mine had none. Also upon partial reassembly I noticed the lower mount hole for the caliper bracket pin is oversized and causing the free movement on the caliper and possible uneven pad wear since it is kicking it cockeyed. Is there a standard procedure for fixing this? Brass bushing or something?
I found a caliper rebuild kit on a major parts distributor's website and am wondering if that is what I need?
Also, how does everything get used? The black basket looking thing is my biggest question but other parts would help too! I believe the springs are for the pads, which have already been assembled to the new caliper with new hardware that came with the calipers. Any guidance would be helpful as I do not wish to buy parts that are not needed.
Lastly, are the pins for the pads and the calipers the same? Need to order another set for each caliper I think. Thanks again!
Can't help you even though I owned a 71' F-350 DRW for 11 years, (mine had front drums).
But maybe one of the schematics will help:

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
lamogo33

Re: 69 F350 Brake Job

Post by lamogo33 »

basketcase0302 wrote:
lamogo33 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:08 am
Can't help you even though I owned a 71' F-350 DRW for 11 years, (mine had front drums).
But maybe one of the schematics will help:

Thanks for the help. I am certain there is parts that go there according to the diagrams but not sure what. I ordered the kit and it should be here today. I'm going to take a look at the passenger side to see if I can't tell which order parts go in. Thanks!
1928 Model A Sedan
1952 Ford Tudor Sedan (Mainline)*
1992 Chevy K1500 ECSB w/a 454*

* = Daily Driver