Brake Booster Type

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Clunker

Brake Booster Type

Post by Clunker »

Anyone know if there are multiple types of brake boosters depending on which truck? I need to replace mine, but Rock Auto specifies they are for front and rear drum, and I have front disc. Also, anyone have a suggestion on whether to get the adjustable or non-adjustable push rod. I'm a little concerned that the existing pushrod might not be compatible with a different booster.

Thanks all
1970 F250 CS: 360, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer 390 intake, Holley 600, headers, Pertronix II, Flamethrower coil.
Clunker

Re: Brake Booster Type

Post by Clunker »

Sorry! This is a duplicate post. Feel free to delete it.
1970 F250 CS: 360, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer 390 intake, Holley 600, headers, Pertronix II, Flamethrower coil.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

As far as I know, a booster is a booster, although 1967 is unique from the other years. Master cylinders are specific to drum/drum vs disc/drum, but I didn't think that boosters were. I just converted from front drums to discs. Front discs weren't an option in '67, so I connected a '67 booster to a '68 disc/drum master cylinder and other related hardware (calipers, etc). It is my understanding that a booster doesn't care what it is boosting.

On the adjustable push rod, I did have to adjust this before bolting everything together. This took a bunch of back-and-forth work, but I was able to get it all working properly. This assumes you're asking about the pushrod between the booster and master cylinder. If you're talking about an adjustable pushrod between the pedal and the booster, I claim ignorance, since this wasn't an option for '67 boosters. Both pushrods (booster-to-MC and pedal-to-booster) should come with the booster.

Final note on master cylinders. There is a difference between master cylinders depending on whether they connect to a booster or not. If you don't have a booster, you need an MC with a deep pocket in back of the piston; if you have a booster, you need an MC with a shallow pocket in the back of the piston.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

There are two primary types of boosters in the Bumpside and Dentside trucks. There are single diaphragm boosters (optionally installed on F100s and F250s with all-wheel drums from the factory) and there are dual diaphragm boosters (installed on '68-'72 F250s and F350s with factory front disc brakes).

'68-'72 Bumpside single and dual diaphragm boosters will have an adjustable input rod (as well as an adjustable output rod). The Bumpside single diaphragm booster adjustable input rod has a code of FT9 stamped on the rod. The Bumpside dual diaphragm booster adjustable input rod code is FT8.

I have a '75 F350 dual diphragm booster that I installed in my '69 F100. This booster (parts store number 54-73112) has a long, non-adjustable input rod. I have a '95 Ford Explorer 1-1/16" bore diameter MC mounted to the booster and I'm running a disc/drum brake valve from an '84-'86 Ford F150/Bronco. My front discs/suspension is from a '77 F100. My setup works exceptionally well.

Dentside boosters can be single and dual diaphragm designs with a long input rod and mounted to non-bellcrank brackets or, they could be single and dual diaphragm designs with short input rods that are mounted on bellcrank brackets. In '78/'79, both booster diaphragm types were available but we're mounted to tapered firewall brackets that put an upward pitch on the booster/MC where they sloped upward coming off the firewall. The input rods on these were long but, the eyelet (where the input rod bolts to the brake pedal curves downward). This was for a revised pedal ratio.

If you're installing a booster from a Dentside into a Bumpside, it's best to stay with the '73-'77 models. '78/'79 boosters had a lot of changes.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.