Power steering pump interchange

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Power steering pump interchange

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Will a later model (1978) power steering pump fit and work properly on a 1968 bump? Dad was cleaning out his garage and gave me a Saginaw box and pump that he was gonna put on a truck that he sold and I know the steering box will fit but since the pump is a later one with the plastic reservoir don't know if it will line up correctly and fit the 1968 brackets........ :?
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Power steering pump interchange

Post by 69Ford »

There is going to be a lot more than the Saginaw box and pump. You will need the power steering column and mount as they are different. You will also need the power steering engine perch. Here's a link that should be helpful http://fordification.com/tech/powersteering.htm
1969 Ford F100 Styleside standard cab 360 C6
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Thanks 69Ford......I feel like an idiot because I went thru that and made a list of everything I needed but SOMEHOW missed the pump explanation......I need a vacation........ :doh:

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

The pump with the plastic reservoir is the CII (C-2 or, Ford Corporate II) PS pump. It came out in 1978 on Ford cars and trucks. Problem is, the FE was killed off with the 1976 Dentsides (two model years before the C-2 PS pump came into existence).

This translates to there aren't any factory PS brackets to mount the C-2 pump to an FE engine. The PS pump that was in use on the Bumpsides and on the Dentsides, through 1977, was the Thompson 'pencil neck' pump and related brackets. With the correct pressure and return hoses, the Thompson pump will connect to the Saginaw PS gearbox.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

ultraranger wrote:The pump with the plastic reservoir is the CII (C-2 or, Ford Corporate II) PS pump. It came out in 1978 on Ford cars and trucks. Problem is, the FE was killed off with the 1976 Dentsides (two model years before the C-2 PS pump came into existence).

This translates to there aren't any factory PS brackets to mount the C-2 pump to an FE engine. The PS pump that was in use on the Bumpsides and on the Dentsides, through 1977, was the Thompson 'pencil neck' pump and related brackets. With the correct pressure and return hoses, the Thompson pump will connect to the Saginaw PS gearbox.
Thanks for a good clarification - big help! Glad to know because I just scored a Thompson pump off eBay for $50 shipping and all......now hopefully it works.....it has yellow caps on the hose connections and the cardboard tube on the shaft so I'm hoping its NOS or reman....guy selling it got it in an estate sale with a garage full of parts so I've got my fingers crossed........ :pray:

1997 Honda CBR 900RR