CV swap using old style steel wheels????

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

s1b

CV swap using old style steel wheels????

Post by s1b »

Is anyone out there using "old style" steel wheels on your truck that has a Crown Vic Frontend?
If you are could you please post some pictures. Only thing holding me back from the CV swap, is not being able to use an original looking wheel
Maximus

Re: CV swap using old style steel wheels????

Post by Maximus »

the crown vic front end has a lot wider hub face to hub face measurement. this means the mounting point from the rims is much further outset then the standard bump side front end. If you put a rim that had the same offset as a factory bump side rim, the rim would be badly interfering with the wheel openings.

Only rims with a big offset will fit. thats not to say you cant get a factory "looking" rim with a huge offset, but your not going to be running any "deep dish" rims unless you make serious mods to the Crown vic crossmember.

They will need to use offset rims, like the later mustangs, to work with the stock Crown Vic configuration.

Here is one that uses some 18" rims that look to be from a mustang
1972 Ford F100 SWB Styleside 300ci I6 3OTT
1965 Mustang 289 T5 4 Weel Disc Brakes
1972 Chevy Blazer 4x4 350/350
1955 Chevy Big Window SWB Stepside
s1b

Post by s1b »

Maximus wrote:the crown vic front end has a lot wider hub face to hub face measurement. this means the mounting point from the rims is much further outset then the standard bump side front end. If you put a rim that had the same offset as a factory bump side rim, the rim would be badly interfering with the wheel openings.

Only rims with a big offset will fit. thats not to say you cant get a factory "looking" rim with a huge offset, but your not going to be running any "deep dish" rims unless you make serious mods to the Crown vic crossmember.

They will need to use offset rims, like the later mustangs, to work with the stock Crown Vic configuration.

Here is one that uses some 18" rims that look to be from a mustang
I was thinking of ordering some to the same measurements as the 16" P71 wheels just with a solid "old style" center. I would think it would work.
Monkey-1

Post by Monkey-1 »

You could always go with some steelies with a chrome baby moon or vintage center cap:
-Monkey-1
1985 F-150 Build Thread (CV Swap, 4.6, Frame-Off) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1519 ... 4-6-a.html
1977 F-100 Flareside Build Thread (CV Swap, 4.6, Frame-Off) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1545 ... hread.html
Studmonkeyracing.com
studmonkey@bellsouth.net