Bendix Power Steering Gear Box - Link to instructions

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Gregtx

Bendix Power Steering Gear Box - Link to instructions

Post by Gregtx »

http://vintage.mitchell1.com/PClubData/ ... 411120.pdf

I recently found a unicorn and was able to get my hands on an original FORD C6TZ-3E500-A rebuild kit. The guy I bought it from said it was quite possibly the last one in existence, although there are probably a few of these still around somewhere. After much searching, I FINALLY found this pdf and it was a total lifesaver for me. This is the factory overhaul and adjustment instructions for the Bendix power steering gear box for the late 60s model FORD trucks.

Setting the bearing pre-load and main screw adjustment wasn't nearly as complex as I figured it would be. The bearing preload is 2-4 inch lbs of torque. I set mine with the gearbox on a bench and fashioned a 4" off center steel bar to the rag joint then hung a 16oz hammer from the end of it. I just adjusted the preload until the shaft turned just barely based on the weight of the hammer at 4" off center.

The main screw adjustment was pretty simple too. The goal there is to make sure the torque on the input shaft is only slightly higher at the center of the rotation vs the edges. 8-9 inch lbs vs 2-4. This you can really do by feel... You'll feel it start to stiffen up slightly at the center when turning the wheel from side to side. If you overtighten it, it will begin to bind up, so just back it down again.

For those that are curious, I found my kit at pro steering solutions and I paid $100 for it. He did say it was the last one he had and that, despite looking for them, he had been unable to find any more.
Greg

1968 F-250 Camper Edition Special
F250 Build Thread

[image]561[/image] [image]600[/image]