I know... I know...

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

tbrown1986

I know... I know...

Post by tbrown1986 »

I'm looking for info on the Crown Victoria swap. I'm talking about swapping the whole frame, engine and all. I've searched and searched but still haven't found my solid answers. I see most people do the 03+ swap and keep the floor and firewall.

I'm looking at the 02 and older cars as they are cheaper to be had. Why doesn't anyone frame swap these older cars? My thinking is that I can buy a 02 and older Crown Victoria or the like, swap my body onto it, sell my short bed frame and the motor and trans, and basically get the crown Victoria for free?!?!?

Can someone tell me the down sides to using the older Crown Victoria's?
Bronco_77

Re: I know... I know...

Post by Bronco_77 »

It would be a heck of a lot easier to just swap the 03 up on to ur frame and I would say lot cheaper by the time u are done. I bought my 05 ifs for 250 which was cheap but u can find the perty easy for 300-400 bucks my dad just bought one today for 300 already took out. Then for the rear if u want to go cheap u can run a set of adapter spacers for like 40 bucks and have the right width and lug pattern.
68 f100 390 3 speed on the collom G maw gave to me G paw drove in late 70s till late 80s
77 bronco 302 lifted 5.5 with 33s and rears cut
69 Mustang boss 302 clone bought when was 14 sold when was 28 to build house
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: I know... I know...

Post by HIO Silver »

tbrown1986 wrote:I

Can someone tell me the down sides to using the older Crown Victoria's?
Sure.

The pre-03 Crown Vics don't use a bolt-on front subframe for the front suspension. The suspension mounting points are integral to the frame instead of being on a subframe.

In order to use a pre-03 CV, the front snout of the CV will have to be grafted to your frame like the early rodders did by grafting GM F-body snout to early pickups.

.... and that's why.