Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Front Caliper Placement Question

Post by colnago »

Stupid question time!

I'm doing the drum-to-disc conversion on my '67 F250 2WD. Since this wasn't an option for '67, I'm using hardware for a '68, with the pedal and booster from my '67, but MC and plumbing for a '68.. So far, so good. I've been following the procedures forged by braver souls, so thanks for all the advice and photos! Long story short, I bunged up the caliper on the driver side, so I ordered a new (rebuilt) one. I picked it up today, only to find that it was for the passenger side. Grumbling, I took it back, and ordered one for the passenger side, hoping that it will fit the driver side.

Now the stupid question. From other conversions on the forum, the caliper has been installed to the front of the wheel. But ALL sites I have checked (NAPA, AutoZone, O'Reilly, Rock Auto, etc) shows the calipers unable to fit on the proper sides, if they go in front. So, does the caliper go in front of the wheel, or in back?

:hmm:

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Front Caliper Placement Question

Post by HIO Silver »

On both the early and late F250 Bump discs, the caliper mounts towards the front with the bleeder pointing up.
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Okay, this is why I asked the question. The first photo is what I have currently installed for my driver-side caliper. This is what I have seen for all drum-to=disc conversions.
Existing Caliper.jpg
The second photo is what Hio_Silver posted in November 2016 of a driver-side caliper.

The third photo is what I just bought for a passenger-side caliper.

Hmmm ... this is why I'm confused.

Joseph
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

By the way, I know that I could have taken the caliper apart, and moved the top to the bottom to make it work for the driver side, but two things came to mind:

1. If I were to do that, the inlet for the brake line and the outlet for the bleeder would have had to be the right size, and

2. I shouldn't have had to. The driver side should have been a direct swap (and so should the passenger side). I shouldn't have to play guessing games on every parts site. I ended up buying it at AutoZone, just because I could check it out before walking out the door.

Joseph