Question on Brake Booster and Throttle Response

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Question on Brake Booster and Throttle Response

Post by colnago »

I am finishing up the conversion from front drums to discs. Part of this conversion was replacing the brake booster, because I wasn't 100% confident my old booster was still working properly. So, I finished putting everything in, bled the system, and went for a test drive. I must have done something right, because it stops pretty well now. But here's the question.

If I stomp on the brakes, then let up and give it some gas, there's a hesitation before the engine revs up again. If I slowly apply the brakes, like I'm coming to a traffic light, everything is fine, but when I stomp hard, I get maybe a 1/2-second pause when I let up. Anyone know what would cause this? Since the booster is vacuum-assisted, I expect stomping and letting off is impacting the air flow, and making for a temporary lean/rich mixture, but I wouldn't think it would be enough to impact engine performance.

:hmm:

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Question on Brake Booster and Throttle Response

Post by cep62 »

If you have a Holley , maybe it's sloshing some fuel and running a little rich. ?? :hmm:
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Question on Brake Booster and Throttle Response

Post by colnago »

Well, I have an Edelbrock, but the booster goes into the port at the back of the carb, so maybe you're onto something there. I can try moving some of my vacuum lines around, and see if that changes anything.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.