1965 Retrofit Steering Column

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

deaconvice

1965 Retrofit Steering Column

Post by deaconvice »

I know this is a 67-72 site but I was hoping someone could give me some guidance....I have read numerous post regarding the interchange of manual steering to power and column swaps. Most people seem to be using the Saginaw box and just finding a donor pickup from 67-72. I was curious if anyone had used an Ididit column on a 65 Ford F100 with Saginaw box. The Ididit 65-66 column is something like 32.5 inches which I think will be too long if power steering is applied - especially Saginaw as it is 2 inches longer. The Ididit 67-72 power steering column is 31 inches. I suppose I could use the 67-72 in my 65 or just go with there universal column that measures 30 inches. Thanks for the help.
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: 1965 Retrofit Steering Column

Post by ultraranger »

The Bendix PS box was used on the Bumpsides from '67 through mid-'69. From mid-'69 through '79, the Saginaw PS gear box was used.

You could use any fixed mid-'69 through '79 PS column or, install a tilt wheel column from a '78-79 Ford truck/Bronco.

As far as what Ididit column you would need for your application, I don't know. You would probably just have to contact them and tell them what you have, or plan to do, and let them advise you accordingly.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
deaconvice

Post by deaconvice »

Steve,
Thanks for your input. I did contact Ididit....they actually had no clue as to what column to use. I found that interesting as it says on their website the following:

For 1965-66 columns: Please note that the Bendix box was frequently used as a replacement for the Saginaw box. If not using the original steering box, a shorter length column may be required. Call ididit for details.

Considering my truck did not have power steering, I am kind of at a holding point. I suppose I can wait and just find the exact measurement. This however, would put me in a bind as the truck is torn apart and in the paint and body shop. I was hoping to have the steering column in there as soon as possible to have it painted with the interior.

Thanks
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

The Bendix power steering box would work with the longer length of a manual steering column or for a 3-on-the tree manual shift column. However, the Bendix PS gearbox is not as good as the later Saginaw PS box (Bendix version tends to run hotter).
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

It seems to me that the Saginaw box would have been used as a replacement for the Bendix box and not the other way around, since the Bendix box is the older unit. If that's what they're saying on their site I think they have it backwards. In any case, it is possible to shorten a column although it is a fair amount of work, especially with a column shift.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/steering-column.htm

I didn't shorten the column in my '69. Because I was going to a floor shift, I looked for a PS column from a 4-speed truck and was lucky enough to find one from a '73. It worked out fine. There's a lot of information about steering swaps in the Tech section on the Fordification site.
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)