Help Needed with Conversion to Front Discs, Plumbing Fitment

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Help Needed with Conversion to Front Discs, Plumbing Fitment

Post by colnago »

Okay, so I finally decided to dive into the conversion from front drums to discs on my '67 F250. It's been going pretty much as expected., which means about as much swearing as usual (although only a single trip to the hardware store ... so far). I got the passenger side together, which took way too long, but I was learning as I went. The driver side went much faster, until I tried to attach the hydraulic hose to the caliper. Apparently, the driver caliper is threaded smaller than the passenger.

So, I found that the passenger caliper had a yellow plastic plug to keep it clean, while the driver caliper had a green plug. Is this something that Ford did at the factory (unlikely), or did it get fit with the incorrect fitting during the rebuild process (more likely)? More important, does anyone know what the threading is for the yellow and green, and can I get a yellow-female-to-green-male adapter at O'Reilly?

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Help Needed with Conversion to Front Discs, Plumbing Fitment

Post by colnago »

Well, it looks like the brake line is threaded 7/16-20. I think the caliper is 3/8-24. So, at least I know what I need. Now to find it ...

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Help Needed with Conversion to Front Discs, Plumbing Fitment

Post by colnago »

Solved my problem, kind of. I was able to drill and tap to the 7/16-20 hole that I needed. As careful as I was, I was still a little crooked with the drill, so I'll have to monitor the joint for leaks. But I can get a replacement caliper in a week, and hopefully the current one can last that long.

I'm hoping to get the brake booster and master cylinder swapped in this afternoon, and finish the plumbing tomorrow.

Joseph