69 F100 4x4 power assist problems

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Vetclass

69 F100 4x4 power assist problems

Post by Vetclass »

First I just want to say I'm new to this site but I Love it.
I recently got my son for his 16th birthday 69 F100 4x4 with a 360 v8 4 speed man trans with 33x12.50 tires.
Now I'm not sure if this was originally installed from the factory but it has power assist steering "garrison style control valve" the problem I have is it very hard to steer, when I steer to the right it's pretty hard but goes all the way but when I steer to the left it goes maybe a quarter turn then gets very hard and stops. I don't see anything the steering is binding up on maybe something with the control valve or slave cylinder Bypassing. Before I get to deep and start spending my sons money "yea right". I guess my question is is it worth it to fix this type of power steering or should I try to find an updated power steering gearbox? How good is this system when it really works? Or will my 16-year-old still struggle with this type of power steering?

If had to I would rather piece together my own parts from the junkyard "to save money "but not sure what vehicle will work. The available retro kits on line are too expensive.

Also can I use the power steering pump that I have now if I change to the newer style power steering gearbox.
Thanks in advance for you help.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: 69 F100 4x4 power assist problems

Post by eggman918 »

Here are two links to threads I posted on that setup the valve is easy to rebuild and the kit is basically just O rings and the like and any full service hydraulic shop should have what you need.
As to the travel issues i would jack up the front end and see what it will do with the engine off to check it something mechanical that is binding,then try it with the engine running the system is very simple the control valve is a basic two way spool valve and the ram is a push pull double acting ram.
I have the 1977 Ford factory manual and i will see what it has for trouble shooting on this system,there is one advantage to this system in that all the load is between the axle tube and the tie rod so it will handle big tires better than a system where the load is between the frame and the tie rod the disadvantage is that it is a bit sloppy compared to a power box there was a rebuild kit that came out later that has heavier springs in the control valve that help center it.
If i can be of anymore help feel free to PM me I will be happy to help... :wink:

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =5&t=80925
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =5&t=79218
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?