High pinion dana 44 swap

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

rabbithunter2005

High pinion dana 44 swap

Post by rabbithunter2005 »

So I just did the swap of a high pinion Dana 44 into my 67 high boy. The axle came from a 79 f250. Now I've been reading it will not clear the front drive shaft if I have headers with a 360 or 390. Well I got a 360 and it clears by a good half inch and will not hit with suspension travel. I have no lift at all stock suspension. What I really like is the pinion angle on the front drive shaft if there is even an angle loll its pretty much a straight shot at least it looks that way. My only problem other than snapping the bolt for the brake caliper on the passenger side is my drag link hits the curved steering arm on the hp44. My low pinion axle has a straight steering arm but I know why the HP has the curve and that's to clear the ball joint. It only hits when im turning to the right which is toward the passenger side. Its only about half to 3/4 inch from the steering being maxed out its just something that bothers me. My question is if there a different drag link needed. Im using the 67 drag link. The 79 drag link got cut in half by who ever took the power steering off the truck that i got the axle from. Any insight is greatly appreciated thank all of u for all the knowledge u possess and share.
1969 ford f100 351w aod
1967 f250 4x4 351c m50d