Source for sway bar brackets?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

mulletmobile

Source for sway bar brackets?

Post by mulletmobile »

I found a 1988 E350 cargo conversion van in the yard with 8 lug front end and disc brakes. It has the brackets on the front of the arms for the sway bar to attach to. The front suspension is all there and untouched. What parts can I harvest for my 71 F250? Want to add a sway bar to mine and even if just the end c brackets work I will start there as they are hard to find. I know somewhere was info on the van sway bars, but I can not find it.
1971 F-250, Wimbeldon White, 360, PB, dealer add-on A/C (A.R.A. brand), 1970 coded interior (23 - Med. blue/Light blue) with 42,000 miles.
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Source for sway bar brackets?

Post by ultraranger »

The endlink (C-brackets) on my '69 F100 came from an '87 E350 DRW Super Duty cube van. The endlink brackets are the only thing that would work on my truck. The E-series (van) swaybar isn't the same as one for a '75-'79 F100 - F350 Dentside truck. The van endlinks are also different from the ones used on the F-series.

My front swaybar is from a '78 F250 Camper Special and my front discs/suspension assembly is from a '77 F100.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
mulletmobile

Post by mulletmobile »

ultra, once again you have answered my questions. I am going to owe you a few rounds if we are ever in the same place at the same time! Time to head back to the yard for at least the pieces that will work. The boy is off school for break so I have the muscle with me!
1971 F-250, Wimbeldon White, 360, PB, dealer add-on A/C (A.R.A. brand), 1970 coded interior (23 - Med. blue/Light blue) with 42,000 miles.
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

mulletmobile wrote:ultra, once again you have answered my questions. I am going to owe you a few rounds if we are ever in the same place at the same time! Time to head back to the yard for at least the pieces that will work. The boy is off school for break so I have the muscle with me!
I don't expect repayment for any usable help I can offer. This is a voluntary site, not a mandatory one.

Fortunately, the scrap metal yard I got my C-brackets from had a front end loader they lifted the front of the E350 with. Otherwise, it would have been more brutal to get these two items off of it.

I bought my '78 F250 front swaybar off of a member on this forum --I want to say it was possibly Fast65 (??).

--you might also check to see if that E350 has a 460 in it. The '87 E-350 Super Duty van I pulled the C-brackets from had a 460 in it with a factory engine oil cooler, lines and the block-to-oil filter adapter. I grabbed those too. Seems like I gave $12.00 for those pieces. They'll fit everything from a 240 to a 460 (with the 1-1/4" hex on the stub where the oil filter screws on). It won't fit on an FE engine but, could be barter material if you do have an FE and couldn't use those parts yourself.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

mulletmobile

Post by mulletmobile »

I thankfully was smart enough to snag a pic of the VIN door frame tag so I will be prepared ahead of time for the oil cooler portion!

This yard is pretty smart as they start with welded stands the vehicles rest on so they have unloaded suspensions. They also have free overhead wheeled cranes/pulls to assist with yanking motors etc. and it is all on crushed white rock to be somewhat better for drainage. That with some stands, a floor jack and a 16 year old O-Lineman for labor/strong man acts I can't wait to go hunting for more.

Now if I could find the pulleys to set up for PS to go with the AC on my 360 I would be set! Any idea where to find that crank pulley and if I can run a double v-groove alternator pulley with all of that and if so what I a need? I managed to score a very recently rebuilt 130amp 3G alternator (Autozone unit) that had little use before the car was junked (94 or 95 Mustang 5.0). Took that in today and Autozone ran it 3 times with passing marks with at least 130amps each time. About to add in 94 TBird electric fan soon so I needed the alternator.

Now, on to get the brackets tomorrow afternoon.
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

mulletmobile wrote: Now if I could find the pulleys to set up for PS to go with the AC on my 360 I would be set! Any idea where to find that crank pulley and if I can run a double v-groove alternator pulley with all of that and if so what I a need? I managed to score a very recently rebuilt 130amp 3G alternator (Autozone unit) that had little use before the car was junked (94 or 95 Mustang 5.0). Took that in today and Autozone ran it 3 times with passing marks with at least 130amps each time. About to add in 94 TBird electric fan soon so I needed the alternator.

Now, on to get the brackets tomorrow afternoon.
I don't know of any FE PS or A/C brackets or pulleys in the bone yard in my area. If you found a 3 sheave crank pulley and the appropriate remaining parts, you would be able to run a two sheave alternator pulley --I do know where one of those is.

I had to switch to a two sheave pulley on my 3G alternator (on the 240 engine in my '69 F100) to stop the belt from slipping.

I added a power steering pump/brackets/3 sheave water pump pulley from an '82 F150 300 inline to my 240 and I bought a new 3 sheave harmonic balancer to replace the 2 sheave balancer that was on my engine.
Steve