How to rebuild an automatic steering column - Completed

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: How to rebuild an automatic steering column - Completed

Post by sargentrs »

Not removed or disassembled. About the only pic I have of it is here from when the inner collar busted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
clemsonjeep

Post by clemsonjeep »

Just followed this to replace the shift collar on my 71. Thanks for doing the writeup!!

My issues is this...I can't get the shift lever to go down into 1st gear. It engages all other gears as it should. I just wish I could see the shift gate with the shift lever installed to see what's keeping it from traveling far enough. Anyone else run into this or have any ideas?

I used a NOS part...CODZ-7228-A.
71 F100 Ranger XLT 360
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Sure it's not the linkage to the transmission? Disconnect the linkage rod from the shift lever at the bottom of the column and try working the shifter, then grab the linkage rod by hand and try working the transmission. Might also want to post your issue in a fresh thread. This one's a little old.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
youngone

Post by youngone »

Just did my column using this thread and it worked perfectly. I like the tip about using the rope and the one with the square bolts they both made life easier. Thanks so much for writing this procedure up. :fr:
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Glad you found it helpful. :D
Randy
72Richb UK

Post by 72Richb UK »

Glad I found this thread, awesome write up and pictures.

my column is in lots of bits, took me 3 days to dismantle because the truck had sat in a field for 10 years in Oklahoma and the lower few inches had rusted and the shift lever was solid, love Evaporust now :thup:
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Thanks! Sounds like you've had fun! :lol:
Randy
Grizzlyo

Post by Grizzlyo »

Thanks for the guide. Need advice, Have a c6 transmission on an f150. The automatic shifter is very sloppy. I replaced the collar, the shift tube, and the lockout bracket. The original lockout bracket screws were replaced by previous owner with pan heads that do not sit flush. I found some #8-32s that sorta fit but the head is too large. When assembled the shifter barely moves, now too tight. I can release the square retaining bolts a little but then it’s sloppy. I feel,like the linkage is half the problem. Almost ready to replace with aftermarket gm. Ant thoughts?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

The screws were originally countersunk Phillips head screws. You can get them from McMaster Carr or I've had a lot of luck finding miscellaneous hardware at my local Ace Hardware store.
DetentPlateScrews.JPG
What kind of shape is the end of your shifter in? Did you also replace the rubber insulator on the shifter?
ShifterTabEndA.JPG
Another area of sloppiness is the rubber bushings in the shift levers. How does it feel without the linkage being connected to the transmission?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
JWW
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by JWW »

Thanks for posting this. The knowledge shared on here is so helpful.
JWW
1967 F100 Ranger, Auto, 240ci
2004 F150 Crew Cab
My project: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a