power steering crown vic

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

power steering crown vic

Post by 48prerunner »

For those of you that have truck on the road how much assist do you get with the evo? If it is not much different than engine not running I'm thinking of skipping it would save like $1600 on my build new 5.0 no power steering pump mount.
70shortwide

Re: power steering crown vic

Post by 70shortwide »

Im not sure I understand your question 100%...

Are you asking if the addition of power steering makes it easier to turn? if so, yes... I was expecting more assist than I got, but its definately better than no assist. I ran with no assist for a couple hundred miles, big enough difference to me that Ill never go back. might pull the belt at the track if I ever get the traction part figured out, for the street Ill keep the power steering no doubt.

In my truck, I generally use both hands to trun the wheels at speeds under, say, 15-20mph... I can turn it one handed at a stop but it requires some effort. (cupholders are a godsend)
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

70shortwide wrote:Im not sure I understand your question 100%...

Are you asking if the addition of power steering makes it easier to turn? if so, yes... I was expecting more assist than I got, but its definately better than no assist. I ran with no assist for a couple hundred miles, big enough difference to me that Ill never go back. might pull the belt at the track if I ever get the traction part figured out, for the street Ill keep the power steering no doubt.

In my truck, I generally use both hands to trun the wheels at speeds under, say, 15-20mph... I can turn it one handed at a stop but it requires some effort. (cupholders are a godsend)

Yeah that's what I was asking So you do feel some assist just not what it should be? Wonder if you could wire a toggle switch to the speed sensor on the rack think it takes 6 volts for when under 15 or 20 mph or hook it to the back up switch lol
70shortwide

Post by 70shortwide »

I wish I knew more about how that valve worked. google didnt come up with much other than a few guys with crown vics having a problem, the advice they were given didnt give me much info... If it runs off regular old voltage a guy could play with resistors till it assisted how he liked it... If anyone has found a web page or any info on how that valve works and if it can be controlled without a computer post it up!
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

I found a wiring diagram for the control module. It runns off the vss on the trans. I wonder if I can just take my signal off my trans. I'm running all modern drivetrain. I'm talking to a guy on the ford truck forum he has his hooked up but doesnt have the module hooked up. I'm waiting for him to give me more info. Module doesnt have many wires but on comes from the computer.

This is best explanation I've found so far:

Here is the info for VAPS out of the shop manual.

Variable Assist Power Steering (VAPS)
The variable assist power steering (VAPS) system controls the level of power assistance available to the driver based on vehicle speed. Below 3.2 km/h (2 mph), full power steering assist is provided to lessen steering efforts and increase maneuverability. Between 3.2 km/h (2 mph) and 191 km/h (119 mph), steering assist decreases gradually at a calibrated rate to raise steering efforts for increased directional stability and greater road feel. Above 191 km/h (119 mph), steering assist is constant.
The VAPS module outputs a pulse-width modulated (PWM) current to the control valve actuator. The control valve actuator controls the hydraulic valve that determines the amount of hydraulic assist provided to the steering gear. The amount of assistance provided varies with the control valve actuator current, which is based on vehicle speed.
The vehicle speed is provided to the VAPS module by the PCM over a dedicated vehicle speed signal circuit, this circuit also provides the vehicle speed information to other modules. The VAPS module also receives engine RPM information from the PCM but this information is sent over the standard corporate protocol (SCP) bus.
For vehicles equipped with air suspension, the electronics for the VAPS system and the air suspension system are contained in the same module.

Just ordered the ford wiring diagram manual for a 2007 crown vic on ebay should be here by the 23.

http://www.oesincorp.com/solenoidelectronics.htm
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

Have read alot more about controlling the valve its a pulse thing still doing more research, I read where on a different brand he installed a pot in line with the module and he could make the rack less sensitive. So pretty sure it is controllable.

just glad to know from input from people who have installed that it acts like normal power steering without electrics hooked up but also wondering if because most are running a pump from a steering box if it is not putting out more pressure than a rack pump.

Thanks again for those that have given input.
70shortwide

Post by 70shortwide »

I wonder if anybody will come up with a mechanical valve that will just replace the electric pulse controlled valve...
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

Wiring diagram not much help looks easy enough to hook up power steering control module just wonder if it will run without all its inputs hooked up. Was hoping it would list currents or voltages for testing if these were known I'm sure it could be controlled.

in 2008 ford offered a rack without it you can get a 2008 rack that doesnt have VAPS
ionlyswingping

Post by ionlyswingping »

Hi Guys,

I'm in the same boat. My setup is original 302 and C4 so no way for electronic pulse as far as I know. I am using the pump that came with the rack. I made a hybrid pulley as I am still running v-belts. The OD was very close to the OD of the serpentine belt, but I thought idle RPM may be a culprit. It sounds like a way to control the valve is necessary to achieve steering the way it was intended for the CV. Otherwise, this CV setup is a little less desirable.

Let me know if you guys try anything as a controller.

Thanks.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

I have no problems at all with PS. I have run 2 different pumps with mine. The 1st was the old style Ford pump & now I have a Saginaw pump. I have read the solenoid is adjustable. I have not touched mine. Mine did require being off idle for PS to work as intended with the old pump but with the Saginaw I am fine even at idle.
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

Bringing this back up some more info over on the other forum guy hooked up an $15 controller form amazon.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14482 ... ntrol.html
poke em

Post by poke em »

I hooked straight 12v up to mine, and it worked great until the solenoid died. Since it is designed to use a PWM signal, I guess straight 12v burned up the motor. I did get about 1 1/2 years out of it before it bit the dust. I plan to replace the solenoid and after reading the thread 48prerunner linked, I'm going to try this PWM controller:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RY ... nk20368-20

Supposedly it works perfectly, and is adjustable. Props to mhrmike on ford-trucks.com for the info on the controller.
poke em

Post by poke em »

So I finally got around to fixing my power steering. Apparently I didn't burn anything out, but the constant full 12 volts caused it to get hot and it melted the little filter that is on the end of the EVO unit. That melted plastic plugged up the orifices and was causing a no power steering problem. So I switched out the filter and wired up the PWM switch that I got from amazon. It works perfect, I can adjust it from almost no assist to full assist with a turn of the dial.

For anyone doing a CV ifs swap, this controller is a must have.
Aerocoupe

Post by Aerocoupe »

I read the description of the controller and it is rated for 30 watts with a 2 amp max load so I was just wondering if it was still performing well as I am starting to gather up parts for this conversion.
poke em

Post by poke em »

Works perfect. No issues whatsoever. Best $7 part I've ever bought.