100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: power steering on a highboy

Post by fordman »

does that turn without binding up?
akforceten

Post by akforceten »

no ,it drives rather nice . i have a about a year of driving with this set up works great . well i got to go kids . ask your questions an i shall answer all. oh yea heres the link to my build up of the truck enjoy.

www.supermotors.net/21939
Oldsch

Post by Oldsch »

averagef250 wrote:
If you want killer power assist steering buy a miniature power steering servo in extra soft from Sweet manufacturing. These are what is used in most circle race cars. Use this to control any aftermarket hydraulic steering cylinder you like. The steering servo will mount inline in your steering shaft before the steering box, it's rather compact. Lines will run from your pump to the servo and from the servo to the ram. With a saginaw pump your pinky will turn large tires lock-lock and there won't be any slop in driving, no frame modifications and a steering system far better than anything any pickup ever had from the factory. You will have $600-$700 in parts including custom 10K psi JIC hydraulic lines and a decent saginaw pump.
New question on this long dead thread :zz: .....
Averagef250 or anyone else, do you have any additional info on the steering setup described here? I really like the idea of a ram assist with new parts and was considering the Sweet servo. I was looking for information when I found this thread....I can't believe someone tried the same idea! So how'd it work out? And how is it holding up? Recommended or not so much? :?