Suspension Order. Have I got this right ?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

smclaren
Preferred User
Preferred User

Suspension Order. Have I got this right ?

Post by smclaren »

Hi Team

We'll I'm gonna place an order on NPD for new shocks (all 4) and springs (front coils only).

I'd like to get your advice on a) the type of shocks and b) what other parts I should get in the order.

Truck is stock standard.

Shocks. My truck is used for cruising mostly, but also towing my boat (about 1000Kg all up). All these activities happen only a handfull of times per month (ie very low usage).
NPD have two types of shocks. Gabriel manufactured no-name brand, or KYB. Each manufacturer has a basic model (about $30 each), or more advanced specéd models (about $48.00 each). Which brand would be the better choice do you feel ?

Suspension Bushes. I may as well take the opportunity to replace bushes etc whilst the shocks are being sorted. What suspension bushing should I be ordering at the same time, or do the shocks ship with the appropriate bushing for fitment ?

Any thing else I should be thinking about whist replacing the shocks and coils ? The mechanic seems to think everything else is working well (ie king pins etc)

Thanks for your advice. :thup:

Steve
Last edited by smclaren on Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Steve - Caloundra, QLD, Australia Image
1969 F100 4x2, RHD, Base Model, 240ci, 4sp, Dealer Canopy, No Bloody Radio.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Suspension Order. Have I got this right ?

Post by fordman »

well if its going to be a shipping thing fromt he states to down under. maybe i would look at the rubber under the truck. radius arm bushings bump stops i beam rubber inserts. and so forth.
smclaren
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by smclaren »

Thanks Craig, the underbody rubbers/bushes are Ok apparently ... and they dont cost a lot to ship if I do need to place a second order.

But, if there are any rubbers/bushes that can be replaced as part of the Shock and Spring upgrade, I'll do them at the same time. Any idea's if there any particular rubbers/bushes that a part of the shock/spring swap out ? :?
Image Steve - Caloundra, QLD, Australia Image
1969 F100 4x2, RHD, Base Model, 240ci, 4sp, Dealer Canopy, No Bloody Radio.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

there isnt any rubber items under o that will coem off witht he springs or shocks that i can think of.