69 F250 parking brake cable

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 69 F250 parking brake cable

Post by fordman »

kevin does your truck have the underbed petrol tank under it?
neo-Redneck

Post by neo-Redneck »

i have question, my e-brake looks exactly like the diagrams but it keeps becoming off-set or off-balance and my brakes squeal and kill my power by one engaging while the other doesnt because it has 'teter-totered' the other way. any fix for that or should i try another forum.
1971 F250 Campers special 390FE, C6, Twin I-beam

FORD: Fondly Obliterates Retarded Drivers

'religion's driving school only teaches one thing; ways to meet god quicker'
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

it happens after you use it? or it just engauges on its own? my guess is the adjustment of the star in the brake drum or that cable is sticking after use.
kevfromwales

Post by kevfromwales »

well guys - I thought I'd update this a bit!

I had a dig about in our spares pile, and found a few odd handbrake cables - so I made my own!

used the broken inner cable off the f250, a 'mystery' outer cable, brazed a home made nipple onto the inner, and made a cable stop - was all ready to fit it, until I went to pull a 350 chevy v8 out of a scrap G20 dayvan my mate was parting out - and spotted that the parking brake cable looked almost identical!!
took it over to the '250, tried it, and a part from it being about 6" longer than I had planned, with a bit of re-routing, it worked fine!

- just got to get the back brakes adjusted so it actually works, and I might be ready to try for the roadworthiness test

- kev
kevfromwales

Post by kevfromwales »

fordman wrote:kevin does your truck have the underbed petrol tank under it?
- no, it's in the cab, behind the seat - ready for a tankful of the good old super expensive diesel we have over here!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

ok i was tryign to figure out what was with that different lookign bracket. i thought those brackets were only on aux tank trucks. or maybe the dentside trucks. but so far i havent gotten any positive info on them yet.
Thipdar

Post by Thipdar »

Hi, folks.

I've got a 1970 F-250 Camper Special with a similar issue - the front e-brake cable has failed.

I got a cable from LMCTruck.com (part #45-3830) today. This is the only front parking brake cable that they show for 1970, but it isn't the right cable for my truck.

After looking at the two drawings referenced above, it occurs to me that there are two different cables in use here, for two different applications. The key distinction is whether or not the truck has the in-frame (second) gas tank.

With the in-frame gas tank installed, there is no room for the pivot lever.

To complicate matters it appears that Ford gave both cables the same part number ("2853").

I need the other one, the one with screw threads on the yoke end, instead of the steel ball.

The pictures shown above probably show yoke brackets that are appropriate for each circumstance. I think one yoke is for trucks with the in-frame tank and the other is for trucks without the in-frame tank.

Also, the cable with the threaded end doesn't use the pivot arm, the "Equalizer Rod" or the "Return Spring"

I would seriously like to obtain the correct e-brake cable for this truck - in fact, I'd like to get two of them, because I have two of these trucks. They're both the same year, make, model and color.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

lmc gave you the wrong part. and they dont even list the correct part that i seen when just now looking through the paper catalog. the ford part number you listed is incomplete. and not correct for a parts search. 2853 means the general part description or department of the part. brakes or brake cable i dont know for sure. here is a page that doesnt seem correct with what we are finding on our trucks now days. if you look at the bracket. they show in the top right corner of this page http://www.fordification.com/tech/image ... rake01.jpg it shows the angeld type bracket kevin and i have posted pictures of. but that is not what is on the trucks without the aux tank. so the diagrams are wrong with that picture. if you notice also the correct brake cables are brake specific as to the type of brakes you have . heavy duty bendix type or standard brakes. anyway there are alot of factors for the correct cabel you need. and it is specific. lmc has it wrong in thier paper catalog i have here. i do not know where to get the parts you need. but it does use a spring on it. here is a picture of the correct cabel and sprign useage. this is kieths truck it is a shortbed. but the long beds used the same cable and spring this shows. they aslo used this same design int he next generation of these trucks. 73-79 with the aux / in frame tanks. even though this is a slightly different type of spring useage that i have seen. here is a picture of kieths shortbed truck aux tank brake cable setup. http://www.fordification.com/myprojects ... tall03.jpg if you want to know more just ask. i will do my best to ge tmore pictueres and information to help you as i can.
Thipdar

Post by Thipdar »

Thipdar wrote:The key distinction is whether or not the truck has the in-frame (second) gas tank.
After taking another look at the drawings, the above statement cannot be right.

The drawing with the pivot arm references two different in-frame tanks. So does the drawing without the pivot arm.

I now believe that it depends upon whether or not the truck has "Bendix" (or Heavy Duty) brakes - which were probably optional on the F-250 and standard on the F-350.
Thipdar

Post by Thipdar »

fordman wrote:here is a page that doesnt seem correct with what we are finding on our trucks now days. if you look at the bracket. they show in the top right corner of this page http://www.fordification.com/tech/image ... rake01.jpg
That is not a picture of what I've got in my truck.

Mine looks like this diagram: http://www.fordification.com/tech/image ... rake03.jpg

Specifically, mine looks like the inset labeled "F250 (4 x 2)".

There is no return spring in the drawing.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

that is wierd. my F250 i just took part had a spring. i do not know wheather or not if it has bendix brakes on it though. the last F250 i took apart did have bendix brakes on it and it didnt have the spring. so you must be right about the type of brakes it has determines the bracket and spring.