Power Steering Conversion

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

68rookie

Power Steering Conversion

Post by 68rookie »

Anyone on here that has done this that wouldn't mind me picking their brain for a bit please let me know.
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am!
1968 F-100 Longbed 390/C6
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Power Steering Conversion

Post by MAK »

I have done it on my 72 but it’s been a few years and what I remember is suspect. There is greatinfo over in the Tech Section in case you haven’t seen that yet.
What questions do you have? I’ll try to help but @Sargentrs is probably going to be the guy with the answers.
68rookie

Post by 68rookie »

My question's are if you go the 73-79 route.
Can you use your original steering wheel if you use the column out of a 73-79.

If you go that route do you have to find a truck with the same motor? Mine is a 390, was wondering if you found a truck with a 302 that had PS on it how that would work.

I suppose one would have to still find left side engine perch from a bump or would left side from a dent work.

My truck has a/c too so would need 3 groove pulley and harmonic balancer, I'm sure that would have to come off of a 360/390.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Anything bolted to the engine is specific to that engine family. Anything connected/bolted to the frame/body is model universal.....pretty much. 2wd stuff to 2wd stuff, 4wd stuff to 4wd stuff.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

:yt: I did the conversion to my '69 F-100. I used the steering gearbox and pump from a '76 with an FE. The gearbox had the '72 & up pitman arm. I got my engine pulleys,fan and shroud from another Dent with an FE, a '75 I think. I got my left engine perch from a Bump with an FE and PS. I wish I would've grabbed the PS gearbox from that truck, as it would have had the '71& earlier pitman arm. I used the column from a 4-speed '73 F-350 truck.

The column was exactly what needed since I was using a floor shift, but I used an aftermarket steering wheel, so I don't know if the Bump steering wheel will fit nicely on a Dent column. The pump mounting brackets will have to come from an FE and so will the engine pulleys. My truck doesn't have AC, so I can't tell you anything about that. I think the frame rails are farther apart in a Dent. If that is true, then I doubt that an engine perch from a Dent would fit a Bump, but someone else will have to chime in on that.
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
68rookie

Post by 68rookie »

Thanks!