Crown Vic IFS - Installation Complete (For Real)

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

jthulan

Re: Crown Vic IFS - Installation Complete (For Real)

Post by jthulan »

I'm interested in possibly the same project.
1971 F100 Custom, 119,xxx miles
1984 Chevy Silverado, 437,xxx miles, original owner
1976 Ford Ranchero GT, 130,xxx miles
2015 Volvo XC60R, 60,xxx miles, daily
BamaBobAlex

Post by BamaBobAlex »

I'm interested in possibly the same project too...

update?
Rocknthehawk

Post by Rocknthehawk »

I have my front clip and am preparing to start my swap. The big trouble I'm having as I get ready is the lack of posts on how people marked their axle centerline. Looking at the CV front I *think* I can use the center mount of the strut and the balljoints as my centerline. But on the old i-beam setup, what did you use as a reference point to mark a line (I'm assuming) on the frame? Just find the center of the spring tower?

Any info would help. Everyone says it's easy, but I'd like to be as prepared as possible.
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

Page two on here I have the drawing for the CV centerline. It's the dowel pins on the lower inside corner of the crossmember. On the truck frame it's the center of the spring towers. The I beams are each offset but the bend in them and the spindles put the axle at the tower center. Ideally you want to mark before you strip and cut the I beam out. Hopefully this helps you out.
-Jeff

1971 F-100 240 straight six, 3 on the tree (parted out)
1972 F-100 302 auto trans, pwr steering, pwr brakes (under construction)
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
Rocknthehawk

Post by Rocknthehawk »

flyboy71 wrote:Page two on here I have the drawing for the CV centerline. It's the dowel pins on the lower inside corner of the crossmember. On the truck frame it's the center of the spring towers. The I beams are each offset but the bend in them and the spindles put the axle at the tower center. Ideally you want to mark before you strip and cut the I beam out. Hopefully this helps you out.
Thanks Jeff!

I pulled the front clip off my truck today and you answered my question. I kept looking at the bend in the i-beam, but the center of the spring tower looked like it had to be the right spot. It was a whole lot easier to visualize and see what to do once I had access to the area. Thanks for the CV measurements as well, I'll be using them.
Fuzzyhead

Post by Fuzzyhead »

Good information on here.
I may end up doing this. I think it'd be cheaper overall in the long run.
flowney

Re: Crown Vic IFS - What do I look for?

Post by flowney »

CO684X4 wrote:2003 and newer crown vics have what you want. Once its all bolted in its around a 5" drop.
Will a 2003 or newer Mercury Marquise work just as well? Lincoln?
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

The list of usable front suspensions is; 2003- up Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, Mercury Marauder or Lincoln Continental.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
raypatterson

Post by raypatterson »

I just bought a 67 f100 and really want to do this front end swap. Will this swap work with a 460 big block under the hood?
jthulan

Post by jthulan »

ultraranger wrote:The list of usable front suspensions is; 2003- up Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, Mercury Marauder or Lincoln Continental.

Is there a large advantage to using a police interceptor as opposed to just a regular crown vic?
jthulan

Post by jthulan »

raypatterson wrote:I just bought a 67 f100 and really want to do this front end swap. Will this swap work with a 460 big block under the hood?
I sure hope so as I'm building a 460 to drop into mine.
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

jthulan wrote:[qu oote="ultraranger"]The list of usable front suspensions is; 2003- up Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, Mercury Marauder or Lincoln Continental.

Is there a large advantage to using a police interceptor as opposed to just a regular crown vic?[/quote]

The only major physical difference I know of between the (2003-2011) P-71 (Police Interceptor) and the (2003-2009) civilian Crown Vic is the P-71 has stiffer coil springs --and possibly a thicker front sway bar but, the sway bar thickness is unconfirmed.

When I bought my 2003 CV front suspension (non installed yet), I was looking for the P-71 version but couldn't find one. I did locate an '03 civilian model. I reasoned that the only major difference was the coils (which could be changed) and the major reason I quit looking for a P-71 front suspension; a civilian model would likely have received a lot less punishment and abuse than a P-71 suspension of an ex-cop car.

I believe this suspension was phased out of civilian Crown Victorias/Mercury Grand Marquis in 2009 (2003-2009). It was carried on through 2011, in the P-71s (2003-2011), when all Crown Victoria production ceased.

The Mercury Marauder (same suspension as CV), was only produced in 2003 and 2004.

I said "Lincoln Continental" earlier. That should have been Lincoln Town Car. The Lincoln Town Car (2003-2011), also ended production in 2011.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
belchfire

Post by belchfire »

I know that this is an old post but it seems to be an ongoing subject so here's my 2 cents worth. First. I sure wish that I had seen the hole layout drawing before I got started. I assumed (wrongly) that they were symmetrical and welded my spacers so. The rear bolted up OK but the front was off the 3/8" indicated. I didn't want to chop up the frame & make a mess modifying it so I ran a 5/8" extended drill down the front tubes and bored out the cross member. I used 1/2" sch 40 pipe for the spacers as the bolts are 16mm and it gives a nice tight fit.
As far as the trailing arm mounts go, I swapped left for right so the outside would be cleaner and not have a weird bolt hanging out in the wind. The mounting plate is 1/4" with 7/16" bolts. I made the spacer a little short so that I could shim for caster. The stock mount has a slot in it which is useless now that it's mounted flat. There's a cap on the end that centers the arm bolt in the mount but only on the driver's side. I'm going to find another for the right.
Stabilizer bar is bolted to 2x6x 1/4 flat bar welded to the frame. I bought a Borgeson steering joint from Summit with the mustang V mount. You need to sand the CV shaft slightly to get it to work. PI springs are too stiff for me so I'm looking for the standard ones.
The chassis is for a '53 Studebaker but I've been a Ford guy since 1962.
jerrysworld

Post by jerrysworld »

Hey guys. This is exciting for me. I recently purchased a 1969 F250. Straight 6, 4 on the floor, an old water delivery truck. I happen to have a parked 2004 Crown Vic p71. I blew a tire out on the freeway in the CV and the wheel well broke, fuse box and wires got tangled in the wheel and ripped a bunch of stuff out. I never drove it again. It has sat for a few years with open windows, in other words, its a perfect donor.

I am trying to figure out what engine and transmission I am going to use. I don't really want rewire the 4.6 engine and transmission from the CV to work with the truck. I have replaced the wire loom in the CV in the past for other reasons but I wouldn't have a clue how to do a "wire diet"

I know I could carb the engine, but has anyone used the transmission? It sure would be convenient if I could use both from the Crown Vic.

Side note about the CV engine, I have had issues with the coil on plugs and the fuel injectors, I would love to just put a carb on it. I would like to get away from the plastic intake manifold.

Other ideas? I want to get an automatic transmission in the truck. I could do a small block chevy...keep the ford 6....
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

jthulan wrote:
raypatterson wrote:I just bought a 67 f100 and really want to do this front end swap. Will this swap work with a 460 big block under the hood?
I sure hope so as I'm building a 460 to drop into mine.
I just seen this. I have a 460 sitting on mine for a few years now with no problems.