Crown Vic IFS - Installation Complete (For Real)

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Crown Vic IFS - Installation Complete

Post by flyboy71 »

I forgot one more thing on the install. Im working on the frame in prep for paint and realized I need to box the frame up front. It took some head scratching to figure out how I wanted to accomplish my attach points for whatever engine mount brackets I will need later. I was snooping around my donor truck and decided to use the same method that is used to attach the steering box to the frame and be able to bolt through the rails. I found 3 holes evenly spaced and welded tubing in for sleeves. It was then a matter of cutting the boxing plates and locating the holes. Now I think the CV install is actually done. Next step is to paint the frame. :thup:

-Jeff

1971 F-100 240 straight six, 3 on the tree (parted out)
1972 F-100 302 auto trans, pwr steering, pwr brakes (under construction)
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

Little late now, but, what would be your best guess on the measurement... ground to the center of the lip of the wheel opening??
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

Not sure exactly but from what everyone indicates its a 5 inch drop from stock height if you go all the way. Im putting my frame spacer on the bottom so that rasies the crossmember 5/8".
-Jeff

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

here is something i have not understood about these kinds of swaps and the engine mounts. doesnt the cv crossmember have engine mounting points already? or are they just wrong to use for mounting and enigne to it? or is it that you are putting in a fe instead of a 335 series engine?
Last edited by fordman on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rusty63

Post by rusty63 »

Flyboy - great work on the lower rear control arm mounts! I think I'm going to follow your lead.

Fitzwell - I measured 12.5" from the ground to the frame just in front of the crossmember on my '04 CV donor before I stripped it down. Hope that helps you sort things out.

Fordman - the crossmember has mount points for the 4.6 engine and I've seen other engines adapted to tie the mounts into these points. On my '63, the 4.6 sits on the crossmember with about 5-6 inches to clear the firewall. I have to imagine you'd have that much room on a 67-72 as well.
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

VERY nice !! :pop:
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Crown Vic IFS - Installation Complete (For Real)

Post by flyboy71 »

I welded the boxing plates and added the aluminum bars under the frame rails for spacers. My dad thanked me for the bird nest of aluminum I left all over his drill press after I drilled the 3/4" holes in the 5/8" thick bar. :thup: Ok, now Im finished. :clap:

-Jeff

48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

I don't know if you ever got the sway bar hooked up but found the measurements for it. From the center of the front hole on the sway bar bracket to the center front hole of the sub frame mount it's 5 1/4". The distance across from side to side is 32 5/16" Sorry no fancy CAD drawing :D
Last edited by 48prerunner on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

Just wanted to throw my two cents in. I like what you did for the trailing arms. My idea was borrowed from another and worked for me but yours seems to have done equally as well. One thing I did different is the frame is mounted straight to the crossmember without the 1/2 inch piece of metal stock you have between the frame and the crossmember. Oh and to shine it up look for wheel acid. Works great on aluminum but be careful on metal because it will rust almost immediately. I don't remember who asked but I am putting the 2005 motor and transmission in mine and am still working on the wiring and fuel system.

not a great picture i have since cleaned up the wiring and such but you get the gist of how it looks with the 4.6 in the engine bay.
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

That looks really sweet. What is this wheel acid you speak of? That really did wonders on the aluminum.
-Jeff

aaronb

Post by aaronb »

looks nice im going to have to do the same swap
ddunaway

Post by ddunaway »

Can you tell me the distance between the front bolt of the cross member and the real bolt of the sway bar?
67 F100
31 Ford Model A
mkpj1

Post by mkpj1 »

Got Lettuce? :evil:

Amazing work Jeff! Disregard my jealously above. Love the thread and keep it coming! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Ken
Greenville, SC

68 F100 LWB 390
67 LTD 390(4V T-bird Special)
74 Bronco 351W

"I sincerely believe... that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity under the name of funding is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson to John Taylor, 1816. ME 15:23
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

Thanks! Im happy to see others adding to the thread with their installs too. The more info and ideas the better for all. Mine is pretty much in but I wont get to cleaning it up and doing the rest of the frame work till the permafrost melts sometime in like June. :lol: Im working on body work now since its too cold in my garage to paint. I agree keep the installs coming. :fr:
-Jeff

48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

ddunaway wrote:Can you tell me the distance between the front bolt of the cross member and the real bolt of the sway bar?
From the center of the front hole on the sway bar bracket to the center front hole of the sub frame mount it's 5 1/4". The distance across from side to side is 32 5/16" (I'll have to check that 3/5" maybe a typo) :? Yeah it was its 5 1/4

Hey Jeff I hear you on the cold didn't start the wood stove up today and i could just pick up the steel i was cutting off the chop saw. I've started my c notch for the rear, but I think I'm going to run a 9" I have with the brakes off the explorer rear, If i have my measurements right think I can use 94-04 mustang wheels in the rear but not sure as I don't have a bed on yet.
Last edited by 48prerunner on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.