Crown Vic IFS - Installation Complete (For Real)

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Crown Vic IFS - Brought it home!

Post by flyboy71 »

Moving this to the end so newbies can find it easier. :thup:
flyboy71 wrote:The engineer in me came out and I broke out the measuring tools last evening and started trying to figure out where to put holes in the frame and exactly where it should go in the install. I already marked the frame before I removed the original. I took some measurements of the hole spacings in the CV crossmember and noted the hole diameters. The left side holes are slots which are 1/2 inch center to center on the same diameter. I also figured out the offset from those holes to the axle centerline. Then I located the truck centerline from the dimensioned drawings Keith has put on here from the bodybuilders layout book. Im almost certain this is correct, plus/minus 1/8 inch or so, or at least it is on the 2003 CV that I have. I will measure a half dozen more times before I cut holes of course. :thup:

UPDATE: I measured again and revised the drawing.

-Jeff

1971 F-100 240 straight six, 3 on the tree (parted out)
1972 F-100 302 auto trans, pwr steering, pwr brakes (under construction)
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
Sascha_cooper

Re: Crown Vic IFS - Installation Complete (For Real)

Post by Sascha_cooper »

I'm new to this forum, but great project, great information. It's been a while since your last post - I hope all is good.

My question - I've completed my CV swap on my 65 F100, but I'm now getting ready to set my 4.6/4R70W. Is there any way you can send/post pics of the engine mounts and your tranny crossmember?
Nissangray

Post by Nissangray »

Does anyone have pics or details on 460 motor mounts with the CV front axel? I have a 1970 f100 2wd and 2007 CV axel

Thanks
Pepper2829

Post by Pepper2829 »

Nissangray
I have a '72 with a 429 going in (same block as 460) and an '05 CV
Look up 'F100 Crown Vic 460 Viking Build' (awesome build) he modifies the factory engine perches to use with the CV cross-member. I will be doing mine like this as well.
After much research, I decided on Bronco graveyard mounts (Extreme Duty 460 mounts) I like these better than the rubber block conversion mounts.
In the description it says its for 351/400....but (http://www.fordification.com/tech/engine-perches.htm) you'll find that the engine perches are the same for the 70's trucks (mine was a 302, which is the same perch as 351/400)
That said, you could always find a set of 460 engine stands/perches, and use factory 460 mounts and modify the lower end to bolt to the CV cross member....but they are expensive.
Another option....not that I would use...are 460 mounts for the CV (http://ritcheytrucksuspension.com/produ ... ic-2003-11)
So there are a few option out there for you. Probably more that I have not listed.
Hope this helps.
2013 Ford Explorer Limited
2005 Ford F350 Lariat - crew/short/6.0L
1972 F100 Sport Custom - reg/short 429/C6 crown vic/Explorer rear
1968 Mercury Cyclone GT 390 - in family since new
1954 Chevrolet pickup - 350/T5 mustangII/Explorer rear
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

Bumping this thread since I cant access my Photobucket account, but my pics must still be active. The project is no longer but the install template info might be helpful.
-Jeff

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
Pepper2829

Post by Pepper2829 »

That's unfortunate, sorry to hear.
Still haven't started mine, trying to button up my '54 first.
It's discouraging to hear of failed/stalled projects.
I can't help but think the crown vic swap on my '72 will be a quick and easy project....Relative....Compared to the all out build of my '54.
2013 Ford Explorer Limited
2005 Ford F350 Lariat - crew/short/6.0L
1972 F100 Sport Custom - reg/short 429/C6 crown vic/Explorer rear
1968 Mercury Cyclone GT 390 - in family since new
1954 Chevrolet pickup - 350/T5 mustangII/Explorer rear
cookmatt67

Post by cookmatt67 »

Regarding the drawing that "Flyboy71" has on here, Are those measurments setup to match the centerline of the original truck? I have read that if the centerline is moved forward by 1 inch that it centers the wheels in the well and the stock driveshaft from the crown vic can be used for those of us going with the 4.6l drivetrain. any body else know of this?
dailyf100

Post by dailyf100 »

Forget the holes in the frame. The holes in the frames are not very consistent from the factory. The true wheelbase should laid out and the CV should be located that way. I like to move them forward a half to one inch more than the original wheel base. It makes the wheel look a little better in the wheel well. Most builders do this.
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

Might as well lock up this post as I'm not paying the photobucket ransom to enable all of the build pics. If anyone wants anything I posted I have local copies, just PM me. And that my friends, is that.
-Jeff

poke em

Post by poke em »

dailyf100 wrote:Forget the holes in the frame. The holes in the frames are not very consistent from the factory. The true wheelbase should laid out and the CV should be located that way. I like to move them forward a half to one inch more than the original wheel base. It makes the wheel look a little better in the wheel well. Most builders do this.
I would have to disagree with that last bit. Many people seem to agree that the CV IFS should be mounted slightly back from original, because when lowered the wheels sit funny due to the longer sweep of the rear fenderwell in the front. See Hackster's first thread, the turbo LS truck for comments on that.
Akredneck

Post by Akredneck »

Wondering if the suspension parts off a 1995 crown Vic will bolt onto a 2003 K brace. I can get the K brace but not a complete front end. I do have a 1995 crown Vic for a donor to my 58 ford pickup
Aerocoupe

Post by Aerocoupe »

You cannot use 2002 and down CV parts on a 2003 and up CV front suspension, entirely different beasts.

Another source for motor mount relocation is http://www.outcastautoworks.com