Hydro boost brakes

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

ERICLDUFFEL

Hydro boost brakes

Post by ERICLDUFFEL »

What does it take to install the hydroboost system on a 69 ford f-100?Do have to minor or major modifications? :D
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Hydro boost brakes

Post by FORDification »

It's funny that you ask this right now, because at this very moment I'm on researching this very thing to start writing up a tutorial. :lol: I'm assuming you're asking this because of the just-posted tutorial on installing a Hydroboost setup on an early Bronco. Well, installation on an F100 will be almost the same thing. I'll be installing one of these in the near future and will be taking lots of pictures for the Ford-truck-specific tutorial for the site.

Basically it's just a matter of bolting the booster to the firewall, plumbing some lines and hooking it up to the brake pedal....not hard at all for someone with average mechanical skills. However, it's NOT recommended to install one of these setups on a 4-wheel-drum setup. You should upgrade to front discs first.

You'll need to install a Saginaw 'canned-ham' power steering pump, since the Ford/Thompson unit (the round 'pencil-neck' style) is generally considered inadequate for the Hydroboost. Ford only used the Saginaw pump on their vans and luxury cars (which typically don't have the same engines as our trucks), and I've found through my research that you can order a Saginaw pump (PN 20-6244) which is a special-built item as a replacement to the '78-'79 truck's plastic/aluminum pump, but has a similar bolt pattern as the Thompson units so it'll bolt up to your stock Thompson pump brackets, but it's got a custom pulley shaft that is slightly longer as required. (The shaft on a standard Saginaw pump is not long enough to work with the adaptor bracket.) This pump has been kinda hard to find, but if you press the parts counter guy he should be able to locate one for you. Many parts stores will show this number as good, but then run into problems actually trying to get one. Be persistent...they're out there!

You'll also have to upgrade the power steering hose to a '78-'79 model rig which is the newer version of what you have now, unless you have a F250 4x4 then you are probably going to have to have a custom hose made.

I'd highly suggest reading the forums at Hydratech Braking to pick up as much information as you can. While you can get junkyard Hydroboost setups from various vehicles, there are a couple (like the Mustangs) that you need to avoid. They even have a direct bolt-in kit for the '68-'78 Ford F-Series trucks.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
mljjones67
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by mljjones67 »

Why wont it work on the 4wheel drum brakes? I wanna do disc on the front. Whats the best way to do this? Mine is a 1967 f-250 4x4.
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Hydratch states that the 4 wheel drum setup acts up with the booster on there and just doesn't work properly like a disk setup up front.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
TOFIC

Re: re: Hydro boost brakes

Post by TOFIC »

mljjones67 wrote:Why wont it work on the 4wheel drum brakes? I wanna do disc on the front. Whats the best way to do this? Mine is a 1967 f-250 4x4.
BULL it will work!! but your braking system better be in near perfect condition or your going to have and "interesting driving experience" sudden lane changes , jittery feeling etc. Make sure your brake system is really good before you start.
Disc on the front?? Use the master cylinder from the unit you get the discs from. Simple eh?? Want a hint?? get the front axle from a 78/79 f250 pickup and bolt it in. Much easier than making the other mods. May have to make some mods but this is the easiest way.
TOFIC

Post by TOFIC »

460 crew wrote:Hydratch states that the 4 wheel drum setup acts up with the booster on there and just doesn't work properly like a disk setup up front.
Paul at Hydrotech is right!! It really gets "squirrelly" if your braking system is not right up to snuff!! Acts up?? oh yea but with a properly maintained system it will work just fine.
TOFIC
TOFIC

Post by TOFIC »

LOts of questions here that is good everyone is thinking
hydroboost will get squirrelly with drum setups and there is many good reasons but the big one is the power in a Hydroboost setup.
Examples standard brakes put about 600 to 800 ftlbs of pressure into the system at top level of performance
Vacuum power brakes puts about 900-1400 ft/lbs of pressure into it.
Hydroboost, with a good pump will do about 1800 and I have seen 2300 in one system. This is SERIOUS stopping power!! Your brake system must be top shape. This boost will explode an iffy rubber hose (ask me how i know)
As to the pump
It is recommended you use a Saginaw dual return pump. The article shows the TEE method to a standard pump and it worked just fine. Personally, if I had a good PS pump I would use the TEE method and be done. The Saginaw dual return pump is just a hedge againest some problems that could pop up. Some of the guys I have helped do a Hboost install used the T method on a standard Ford pump and it worked just fine.
Recommendations::
Follow the bleed instructions that are on Pauls site letter by letter. This is the gospel of a hydroboost install. do it that way and you will get it done right.
Be very careful when you drive your truck for the first time!! The stopping power is awesome. If have seen a guy lock up 36 inch rubber at 60 miles an hour and lock the tires up tight (personally, i would have run over the ricer that cut him off) You will crack a rib on the steering wheel if you stand on the brakes when you first drive this!! Get used to it first before you wander on the street.
This system is a power brake booster. It is not a brake system. this is just a replacement for your vacuum setup or your manual brakes. Hydroboost, when it fails, fails to the manual brakes. A HUGE safety consideration.
Do not let your significant other drive your truck with this brake booster. When mine did I had to install it in the minivan it get the whining to stop!!!
Questions are goood keep them coming.
TOFIC
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Does anybody know where to buy a socket to remove the hydroboost mounting nut? I've done a few Hboost installs and that big 4 sided nut is always a bear to remove and tighten.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Of all the reports I read while researching this, I only ran across two mentions of removing that nut. The first was someone who mentioned he used a hammer and chisel to spin that nut. The other guy had access to a milling machine and made his own removal tool:

(I wish I'd jotted down the URL for where I found that pic, to credit the owner.)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

You're the man Keith! That looks like it was CNC'd by the way the corners are radiused. I'll see if I can make something on the bridgeport to get the job done.

Most of the Hboost factory brackets have a bit of a recess where that nut is. Makes it a real bear to get a wrench on it. The nut is also serrated on it's clamping side so it takes a bit to break it loose.

I really like the Hydratech aluminum brackets. The last bumpside I did I was shooting for mounting it right on the firewall. I used what I had laying around and didn't spend more than a couple hours on it, but it turned out pretty decent. The ford truck firewall bolt pattern is pretty tight for the lower 2 bolts to clear the hboost. I had to use socket head bolts. I can post a picture of this latest one if you'd like.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

I have two of the sockets at work and we bought them from OTC ?? I will check and get the part number today. I have worked out the brake rod and brackets for mine, I'm using after market brackets. I tired some from dent side vacuum booster, holes didn't line up as well.
In a previous post someone wanted ideas about sealing the the hole in the firewall, I posted I was thinking about rack tie rod boot. Well I tried it and I think it worked out well. I had to cut the boot shorter, but it fits the original hole in firewall snug. here's a pic or 2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

That socket number would be real helpful. I didn't use a boot, just some body putty to seal the bracket against the firewall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TOFIC

Socket number

Post by TOFIC »

I, for one, would love to get the number and supplier of the socket for that d**n nut!!
TOFIC
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

Ok I got the info 1 of our sockets was made in house, the other was purchased from Kent More tools #J-29192. doesn't look hard to make thou.
2 1/4" od pipe, with 1/4" thick 3 1/2" long. couple of pic's for your pleasure.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
mickster

Post by mickster »

Why is the mustang Hboost undesirable? Would it still be undesirable if I had all the brake components front and rear brake's Anti lock box power steering pump and rack & pinion?
'68 F100
'69 F100
'80 320i
'02 superduty
'06 freestyle