69 F100 Steering Coupler Removal

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

donutcat

69 F100 Steering Coupler Removal

Post by donutcat »

1969 automatic with power steering. Looking to remove all of the original steering coupler since we're moving to a u-joint. Got the rag and the coupler off the steering box, but we can't figure out how to get the piece of the coupler off the column itself. No set screws visible, using a puller did nothing, using the heat wrench and a slide hammer also did nothing. Needs to come off since using another rag joint isn't an option due to adding a body lift to clear the gas tank under the bed.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 69 F100 Steering Coupler Removal

Post by basketcase0302 »

"donutcat"]1969 automatic with power steering. Looking to remove all of the original steering coupler since we're moving to a u-joint. Got the rag and the coupler off the steering box, but we can't figure out how to get the piece of the coupler off the column itself. No set screws visible, using a puller did nothing, using the heat wrench and a slide hammer also did nothing. Needs to come off since using another rag joint isn't an option due to adding a body lift to clear the gas tank under the bed.
AFAIK it can not be removed. I'm looking at a very good pic of the steering column flange on my 71' 2WD, (but won't play photobuckets name your price game to upload sorry). If memory serves me right the flange on the steering column shaft is integral, (with that shaft and either welded or pressed fit)?
Maybe someone else can chime in here otherwise but i believe you'd have to change the column to get one, (My 76' early Bronco had one with a u-joint). :hmm:

Edit: I found a good image of one.

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I got mine off but it was tough. The plate is pressed on to the splined shaft and the the end of the shaft is flared out (swaged). You can see how it was done by looking at the end the shaft. I took it to work, in the weld shop, where we had a 6" piece of 1-1/2" pipe welded vertically on one corner of a heavy table. I dropped the shaft thru the pipe and had a friend with a cutting torch heat the plate cherry red around the end of the shaft. Then I held the shaft at the bottom end, pushed it up all the way to the pipe and SLAMMED it down as hard and fast as I could. After about 5 tries it popped off and flew across the shop. :lol:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
donutcat

Post by donutcat »

Thanks for the advice, we'll probably pull the shaft out and try heating it and knocking it off with something or other.