Lowering a F100

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Garf

Lowering a F100

Post by Garf »

I know this has been talked about a lot, but I am a rookie and in need of some advice. I am restoring a 1970 F100 and want to lower it, roughly 3 inches in the front and 3-4 inches in the back. The back is no problem, just plan to use a hanger/shackle kit. I know I could use drop beams to achieve the drop I want, but I like the idea of an IFS & disc brakes up front so was considering a CV install. But I from what I've read, you get about a 5-6" drop. Any options here to get the best of both worlds? Do I need to go to a Mustang II setup? Thanks for your help.
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Lowering a F100

Post by JoshT »

Front is easy too. Read this article from the tech library:

http://www.fordification.com/tech/discbrakes01.htm

Do that and use the matching Dream Beams instead of the factory beams.

FWIW Ford's Twin I-Beam suspension is an IFS and is very good at what it was designed for. Not trying to dissuade you from a CV swap, but nothing wrong with the beams either. For a daily driver with a little spirited driving the beams will do just fine. If you are looking to road course, well I'd recommend a different vehicle first, but I'd imagine that you'll end up way beyond a CV front end.

Edit: between the MII and CV swap, I'd probably recommend the CV. It's designed with a larger heavier vehicle in mind (Crown Vic vs Mustang II), it looks to be an easier install, cheaper to acquire, and can definitely be made to handle well.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
Garf

Post by Garf »

Thanks for the info. I've decided to go with the DJM beams as I only want to lower the front 3" and I've decided that I'd rather not cut up the frame.
rbmgf7

Post by rbmgf7 »

I'd like to piggyback on this post on lowering an F100. The sticky up top has lost a lot of pictures due to Photobuckets new policy (it's happening everywhere on the internet, not just this forum).

I, too, have a 1970 F100 but I would like to get the body as close to the ground as possible.

I'll be designing and making my own front IFS. I don't want to seem braggy but I have CNC cutting equipment as well as CAD experience to make this idea achievable but getting a start to reach my goal is in question. So far, I plan to replace the engine crossmember with a new design to clear the lowest point and integrate the new control arm mounts to the frame with the least amount of frame notching as possible. I'd like to also design new uprights to reuse the spindles so I can keep my drum brakes. I've aided in designing buggy suspensions so this should be a nice, new challenge.

I see pictures of bumpsides slammed to the ground but I don't know what setups they're using. Do MII/CV suspension articulate enough (with air bags) to get the frame to touch the ground (albeit, with frame modifications since there are a couple crossmembers that sit below the frame rails)? I've found rough dimensions online to get a start using MII but not so much with the CV. Also, is the CV steering rack wider? Seems like MII racks hover around 24-25 inches wide to the pivot points and usually 47 inches wide, overall, which seems pretty narrow. I guess tie rod extenders are needed?