Sectioning a manual steering shaft

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Sectioning a manual steering shaft

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Getting ready to section a manual steering shaft for my p\s conversion and was wondering where the best place to do it is or if it doesn't matter. I have access to all the machines I need to do it at my work so I plan on cutting out what needs to be removed, putting it in a lathe and drilling it for a pin, and then chamfering it so the weld dept can get a good bead on it. Want to get deep enough so I can turn the weld down to the original diameter of the shaft so not sure if I should do it in the center or closer to either end of it...... :?
Last edited by Ohiotinkerer on Wed May 24, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Sectioning a manual steering shaft

Post by sargentrs »

In case you haven't already found it, here's a good write up with some additional considerations http://www.fordification.com/tech/steering-column.htm Sounds like you know what you're doing so it really doesn't matter. Properly done, it can be spliced anywhere. Only suggestion I would make would be to keep the splice in the area below where the wiring harness exits the housing and well above the shift levers and the NSS. In that region there's nothing but shaft and tube and plenty of clearance between them. Good luck and be sure and show us how it came out. :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

I'm one of the lucky ones who has a 4 speed truck with the column that is already the right length (thanks to all of you for that info) so at least I dont have to deal with that.......... :woohoo: Having never done one before I was just worried about cutting the shaft in the wrong place - the best part is having been a machinist for 20+ years and working for a company that doesn't mind me doing personal stuff with their equipment......... :thup:

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Ohiotinkerer wrote:... the best part is having been a machinist for 20+ years and working for a company that doesn't mind me doing personal stuff with their equipment......... :thup:
I hear ya! I work at a metal fab shop and my good friends are the supervisors of the weld dept and press brake dept. Lasers + 2 pwder paint lines. Been there 20 years so everybody knows and nobody cares.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Now have a 32 7/8 inch steering shaft.....took about 45 mins total......will post photos when I get ahold of my IT dept (my kids) to figure out why I can't post pics all of a sudden......... :?

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Looking forward to seeing it. :thup:
Randy
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

I cut the manual shaft down in my 71 Bronco when I put power steering in it. I cut it approximately in the center of the column at a 45* angle, fixed it up in a jig to assure it was straight and full pen. welded it with 7018 rod. I ground it smooth so it's the same diameter as the rest of the shaft. It sticks out the end of the column about 1 1/2". I got a Borgeson double D shaft with U joints on both ends, cut it to fit and welded the top joint to the end of the shaft. Took care of any misalignment and is collapsible in case the unthinkable happens that would cause the shaft to skewer me thru the chest. It has worked well for 10+ years and I would do the same thing again if I had a need to.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport