70 F100 steering

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

RandyP63

70 F100 steering

Post by RandyP63 »

I have read some of the other posts about Saginaw power steering pumps, my truck has the Ford pump, I want to upgrade to the Saginaw unit. Do I just need to purchase the pump off eBay with the brackets, or would an Econoline or later unit be the better choice out of a salvage yards? I hope this isn't too repetitive of a question, I'm just trying to find the right combination.
RandyP63

Re: 70 F100 steering

Post by RandyP63 »

I see that Econoline vans have the Saginaw pump, what are the best years to Pick? I also have a 77 F100 that I found with all the parts.. Mine already has power steering, but the previous owner hacked the system up........bad.
radioactivelarry

Post by radioactivelarry »

RandyP63 wrote:I see that Econoline vans have the Saginaw pump, what are the best years to Pick? I also have a 77 F100 that I found with all the parts.. Mine already has power steering, but the previous owner hacked the system up........bad.
As long as you get the right bracket for the engine. Ford used Saginaw PS unites from about 69 and up so the PS pump should work from the 77.
Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed Lamb.
Ben Franklin.

My Motto: I wish I had less to do, more time to do it in and got paid more for not getting it done.
:drive:
RandyP63

Post by RandyP63 »

Thanks, I am going to pull the unit off of the 77 this week. You aren't kidding about the correct bracket, I have had 2, both did not fit my truck.