frame shortening

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

yarko

frame shortening

Post by yarko »

[quote][/quote] any advantages or disadvantages to arc welding my frame cut, as opposed to mig or tig? Thanks everyone! You guys are the best
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: frame shortening

Post by cep62 »

I would say if you can stick weld in the different positions , you will be fine.

I would butt weld the frame together, then weld a plate over the splice. :2cents:
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

yarko wrote: any advantages or disadvantages to arc welding my frame cut, as opposed to mig or tig? Thanks everyone! You guys are the best
I recommend a wide Z-cut and overlap... a weld that is long for more surface area rather than strictly a vertical or angle cut. In my opinion, a MIG would provide better control and is way cleaner than a stick welder. Leave stick welding for farm equipment. A TIG is doable but it had better be a powerful machine and your skill level better than par. Add a "fish plate over the welded section... welds on the fish plate requires deep penetration with heat "blooms" appearing on the opposite side. Box the affected area is also recommended.

Like this:
yarko

Post by yarko »

The reason I ask is because my dad had spoken to a welder friend of his and he owns a mobile welding business. He is willing to come out to help. He said he'd probably arc weld it. I wondered. I was planning on fish plate as well as boxing it. How did you cut your frame? Will a sawzall do it?
Aurelio Landeros

Post by Aurelio Landeros »

yarko wrote:The reason I ask is because my dad had spoken to a welder friend of his and he owns a mobile welding business. He is willing to come out to help. He said he'd probably arc weld it. I wondered. I was planning on fish plate as well as boxing it. How did you cut your frame? Will a sawzall do it?
A sawzall will cut it but yuo will need metal cutting blades not wood. also you would need a way to cut the horizontal line.
Aurelio Landeros
1970 f100 240 I6 3.9L 1bl carb 4 speed light duty
yarko

Post by yarko »

Aurelio Landeros wrote:
yarko wrote:The reason I ask is because my dad had spoken to a welder friend of his and he owns a mobile welding business. He is willing to come out to help. He said he'd probably arc weld it. I wondered. I was planning on fish plate as well as boxing it. How did you cut your frame? Will a sawzall do it?
A sawzall will cut it but yuo will need metal cutting blades not wood. also you would need a way to cut the horizontal line.
Oh ya for sure metal cutting blades. I was thinking of cutting the vertical lines with the sawzall and then starting the horizontal cuts with a cut off wheel and finish with the sawzall.
Aurelio Landeros

Post by Aurelio Landeros »

yea seems like you got it covered should work
Aurelio Landeros
1970 f100 240 I6 3.9L 1bl carb 4 speed light duty
yarko

Post by yarko »

Thanks for the input everyone! I appreciate it!