Wheel Bearings: A comparison between $ and $$$

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

FullSnowCrash

Wheel Bearings: A comparison between $ and $$$

Post by FullSnowCrash »

Ok guys, this is my first real post on the Fordification site. Hope y'all like it!

When I bought my 1969 F100 in November 2014, the brakes would pull hard to the right. I decided then to do the whole brake job including wheel bearings
while I was in there. the hardest decision I had to make during the job was what bearings to go with. Since Auto Zone is not carrying Timken bearings anymore, I had few options. After shopping around, I decided to go with NAPA bearings. Of course, they have two lines: The standard NAPA bearing manufactured by SKF and the PROFORMANCE bearing made in China. I bought them both and decided to snap some pics, make a comparison, and share the results with you all.

^Here is a side-by-side comparison. Not very telling even with the bad lighting.

^The PROFORMANCE discount bearing, made in China. Retail $4.79

^The standard NAPA bearing made by SKF in Japan. Retail $12.99

^PROFORMANCE

^SKF. Notice the overall better surface finish, especially on the roller cage.

The difference between a 125 microinch finish and 85 micorinch are not really much of function on the outer race and faces, but I did feel like the SKF actually tried to make their product aesthetically pleasing...well, for gearheads at least. The most substantial difference was not one that could be photographed. Placing the bearing race down in your palm and rotating the bearing was most telling. The SKF was smooth and tight. The same could not be said for the Chinese model. You could feel the roughness and the overall sloppiness in the bearing. For all of you guys thinking Japanese stuff is crap: I have been machining for about 3 years. Myself and many old timers swear by Mitsutoyo instruments. My Mitsutoyo tools are spot on calibration standards with lab quality gauge blocks. Not the same can be said for the HF or SPi stuff.

If you can afford it, definitely go with quality bearings, especially if you are keeping the truck. Hell, even the box was nicer. If you are like me, then you don't want to do this job twice.
Last edited by FullSnowCrash on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
1969 F100 Ranger 2WD 3 speed manual. Swapped 360 for 300I6.
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Wheel Bearings: A comparison between $ and $$$

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Crash, thank you for posting the good information. :thup:
:wel: :wel: :wel:
Welcome to the best site period .
Hope you like it here .
Pull up a chair and stay awhile.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:wel: from Georgia! For bearings, I try to stick with the big name boys like Timken, SKF, TRW, etc. Maybe cost a little more but, as you pointed out, you can feel the difference.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
AZf100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by AZf100 »

More money usually means Better Stuff. I tried Ends up Costing you more in the Long Run
My grandpa always said If you cant do it right the first time when will you be back to fix your problem.
"I ain't as good as I once was But I'm as good once as I ever was"
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r73 ... 6e738a.jpg
1971 F100 SWB 302 2WD (Work In Progress)
2010 F250 4X4 6.4 Power Stroke / lariat Black
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

Slf jas been a good name for many years. China has not been a good name.
radioactivelarry

Post by radioactivelarry »

The Chinese Performance Bearing is what they use in their coal burning locomotives. Not suited for Ford Pickups!
Didn't Confucius say something about that? :?
Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed Lamb.
Ben Franklin.

My Motto: I wish I had less to do, more time to do it in and got paid more for not getting it done.
:drive:
chazskinz

Post by chazskinz »

Great Stuff! I'm trying to do something like that with my steering issue. Info is always good! I love this site!
This was a thoughtful article guy! Thanks!

I am buying bearings for my front when I do the brakes since I'm in there and after reading this you know I'm gonna check them out
before I use them. Now that I know what to look for. Quality usually shows but in this case it's on the inside!

So thanks! It was a more than helpful read!
:yt:
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

Good info. Ive gone with NAPA for most anything anymore. I have been burned too many times with the crap from Autozone or Advance Auto. I dont enjoy modifying parts to fit or worse yet having a brake rotor stud magically just fall off and go missing. The list goes on and on.
-Jeff

1971 F-100 240 straight six, 3 on the tree (parted out)
1972 F-100 302 auto trans, pwr steering, pwr brakes (under construction)
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
tqwrench

Post by tqwrench »

Made in China doesn't mean bad quality, though there's substantially more opportunity for the part to turn out that way. Let me explain: Many NAPA and even some OE parts are made in China. What governs the quality of that part is the strength of the contract. When you contract to do business with China you have to be very, very specific. You have to include things like no sleeping within x number of feet of the assembly line and other arcane facts like that. If you don't, they'll work an 18 hour shift, crash on the floor next to the line, get back up and start all over again. You also have to have onsite QC, again contracted to specifically and periodically check throughout the process. You give them an out to cut a corner and they will do it.
1969 F-250 390 Camper Special
Candy Apple Red/Wimbledon White