Project idea

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

oldmopars

Project idea

Post by oldmopars »

I hung out here for a while several years back, but had to dell my truck. I now have an idea for a new project and was looking for advice.
I bought my daughter a 1991 Crown Vic that was near perfect, runs great, but was rear-ended by a teen. So now I have a perfect 1991 5.0L with 4 speed auto ready to transplant in a donor truck.
I want to install the 5.0l with a 2003+ CV front end. I will also swap the rear.
So, would it matter if I found a F100 or F250? Is the frame just thicker, but the same dimensions?
Any advice? Can I use anything else from the 91 CV? Seat? Rear axle?
Fred-72 f250 Highboy 360/435/Dana 24
jreb333

Re: Project idea

Post by jreb333 »

Id use a f100 short bed. The vic front end is going to give you about a 4 inch drop. This is sexy on a half ton shorty but looks retarded for a 3/4t longbed which will never look like it is meant for anything but what its meant for - work. Also, even tho the spacing is different unless someone takes a tape measure to it, visually the 5 bolt pattern will be the same if you choose to stay with the 9 inch whereas the 8-lug d-60 would look goofy with 5 lug fronts. The 9-inch is easier to lower also with more options available aftermarket where the d-60 parts you find will be mostly focused on lifting as they are beloved by us off-roaders who tend to be rather good at breaking 9inches. Tubbing a 9 to fit some fat meat beneath is easier too. And if you choose to go street rod its lighter weight. Also, unless you plan to keep it till you die and never loan it to a family member, someone seeing the F250 badges may load it beyond a safe weight.
Frame strength and thickness are the same, the extra load rating was gained in the axle and springs.
JESUS LOVES YOU! everyone else thinks your a jackass!
marvin2
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by marvin2 »

Was the frame on the crown vic totaled or bent beyond use?

I've seen where some guys have just done a body swap, putting the truck body on the crown vic frame. They kept the complete running gear (including efi), tank is in the rear as well. It takes a good bit of fabrication, but doesn't seem like much more (skill wise) if you are considering the crown vic front IFS.

I haven't done enough research to know what years of crown vic frame will work, but it was just a thought if you haven't already considered it.
1970 F100 "Marvin 2" - Crown Vic IFS, 302, C4 (work in progress)
1970 F250 "Leonard" - 302, C6 (project in waiting)
1971 F100 "Walt" - 302, 3-speed on the column (Sunday driver)
2004 Mustang GT "Horse With No Name" - 4.6L, 5 speed (Retired daily driver / Friday driver)
oldmopars

Post by oldmopars »

If I decide to do this with a F250, I would swap everything, front and rear. I would never leave an 8 lug rear with a 5 lug front. My plan would be to swap the CV rear also and use some lighter springs.
Has anyone ever done the frame swap from a 1991? I am not sure about the wheel base, but I guess it could work. It would save money. Oh, the frame is not bent, it hit right at the trunk and pushed the body forward. If there is any frame damage, it is not much and at the rear frame horns. I would have to pull the body off to be sure. It is an idea.
On another note, my wife decided that she wants to camp with a trailer, camper or fifth-wheel. This would make all of this a moot point. If I get a camper/trailer I will need the 3/4 ton capacity and just fix up what ever I find.
Fred-72 f250 Highboy 360/435/Dana 24
derbydad276

Post by derbydad276 »

Im half way through a crown vic swap It has been a fun project so far I used an 8.8 axle just get half ton springs set the axle on top of them and youll be fine
I love the look a lowered short bed but they haven't made them in over 40 years and the solid bodies are getting harder to find while long beds are all over
and you will pay less for a 250 than a 100 but not a lot less
I also would keep the FI and AOD it will enable you to have 4.11 gears in the back to be zippy out of the hole and overdrive to keep rpm's down at highway speeds