67 to 79 Steering Column Wiring (Tilt/Cruise)

Electrical and Wiring Frequently Asked Questions
wanabaplyr

67 to 79 Steering Column Wiring (Tilt/Cruise)

Post by wanabaplyr »

I conquered the much debated wiring of a 79 tilt column w/cruise yesterday, as well as full power steering. Took a bit but it's 100% correct and works perfectly!

On the small 2-wire plug from the 1967; the 67 green wire goes to orange wire with blue stripe from the 79 column. The 67 yellow wire goes to the green wire with orange stripe from the 79 column.

On the larger 5-wire plug; the 67 white wire with blue stripe goes to the 79 white wire with blue stripe. The 67 green wire with white stripe goes to the 79 green wire with white stripe. The 67 light blue wire goes to the 79 light blue wire. The 67 blue wire with yellow stripe goes to the 79 dark blue wire. the 67 red wire with black stripe goes to the 79 light green wire.

The emergency flasher in the 79 column indeed only needs one wire to work. I tapped the 67 flasher harness white wire with red stripe to the 79 white wire with red stripe.

Last but not least, I tapped the red wire with blue stripe (shift indicator illumination), to the switched dash lights so it'd come on with the rest of the lights.

I like a clean install so I cut the old pins from the 67 harness and soldered them to the 79 column wires so I could use the original plugs. It's a super clean looking factory install!
The problems of today cannot be solved by the thoughts of those that created them.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

sounds good solding the wires was the way to go for sure. noone want to mess with butt connectors and black tape. that looks like mess when you look at it.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: 67 to 79 Steering Column Wiring (Tilt/Cruise)

Post by FORDification »

Thanks John! Now we gotta get you to to a factory cruise-control install and do a writeup on that too. ;)

(John sent me an e-mail yesterday detailing his wiring and I was going to reply back, but got sidetracked when one of my rugrats started crying. Sorry about that!)

I will definitely add this info to the tilt column page....that should help out a lot for people wanting to add one to their truck...including yours truly. ;)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: 67 to 79 Steering Column Wiring (Tilt/Cruise)

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

Does any one know if the 73 and 79 wiring are the same? I put a 73 column (non tilt) in my 67 but I havnt finished wiring it yet. Little things like starting a new engine and then a starter going out have distracted me from the wiring. If its the same then I,ll wire it this way. I have soldered what I have done and used shrink tubing but i used the factory ends to make a disconnect/ adapter in between. Great job John thats the easiest to read wiring diagram I have ever seen
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

do you have any pics of how the newer column looks in the truck?
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)