Removing knobs

Electrical and Wiring Frequently Asked Questions
Fordfool

Removing knobs

Post by Fordfool »

I feel ignorant having to ask this, but I am out of options as I have tried all I can think of. How do I remove the knobs from the light switch, wiper switch and so on? Thanks guys!
67RED
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Removing knobs

Post by 67RED »

I KNOW the wiper has a small hex screw on it not sure of the other
steve
Life is 90% how you take it10% what you make it
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

the headlight switch has a spring-loaded pushbutton on the top of the switch, behind the dash. reach up behind the dash and over the top of the switch and feel around for a little know. then while pushing the knob down, pull the switch out. but more than likely your headlights will come on when you pull the knob out, so disconnect your battery!

IIRC, the wiper switch has a little spring-action clip right on the knob itseld. turn it till you see an indent on the backside, then use a small screwdriver to push the knod off while pushing on the clip.

or am I thinking of a different year truck??
does any of this make sense? :-)
Fordfool

Post by Fordfool »

:clap: Thank you guys! I got them all out this morning. My cab is almost bare!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

The headlight switch knob and shaft comes off by pushing the small spring-loaded button on the top of the switch as noted by 72hiboy4x4. The wiper switch knob should just be held on with a small Allen-head setscrew, as is the '70-'72 emergency flasher switch. The ignition switch and cargo lamp switch are held on with the bezel which needs to be unscrewed from the front. (You really need a special tool to do this without boogering up the chrome bezel, though I've gotten lucky a few times using a pair of needle-nose pliers.) The lighter socket is removed by unscrewing the back half while holding the front with your fingers. (It's just finger-tight.) If equipped with a manual choke, you'll have to unscrew the large retaining nut on the back.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!