Ranger vs. other trim - how to ID?

Body and Paint-related FAQs
cooper_illinois

Ranger vs. other trim - how to ID?

Post by cooper_illinois »

Hi, I am new to this board

I just bought a 1969 F100 shortbed and would like to know if it is really a Ranger. Is there any indication (except the trim, the gauges,...) that it is really a Ranger. Is there an indication on the VIN?
I have seen the difference as explained on the website but this is just linked to trim etc., but not really to sth. "non-replaceble". Or am I missing sth.?

Thank you very much for all the answers.
MrMajestyk
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Ranger vs. other trim - how to ID?

Post by MrMajestyk »

:wel: :thup:

This should be a great place to start :wink:

http://www.fordification.com/library/main.php
cooper_illinois

MrMajestyk wrote::wel: :thup:

This should be a great place to start :wink:

http://www.fordification.com/library/main.php
Hi,
thank you for the quick reply.

I went through the infos available in the library and I checked here: Identifying '67-'72 Trucks and esp. here: http://www.fordification.com/tech/VIN69.htm
As I said, it looks to me as if it is a Ranger based on the trim, the grill, the interior etc. All looks good to me. My question is if you can read from the Vin (or sth similar, which can not be that easily replaced) if this is a "true" Ranger.

Thx!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

No, there is nothing in the VIN or on the VIN data plate to indicate a trim level. You'd have to find the original broadcast sheet to verify that it's a factory Ranger. Sometimes you can find it stuck between the springs and foam on the seat back, but don't hold your breath. Even if it hasn't been removed by a previous owner, it's likely disintegrated over the years.

Image Image
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
cooper_illinois

Thank you that was what I am looking for.

How likely is it that a non-factory Ranger gets dressed up? Is there a part that is missed most time or is there a part that is hard to find/replace so it might be missing?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Virtually everyone on this forum does that....that is, buy a basic truck and then find nice Ranger-style parts to either add non-existing options or upgrade current ones.

In the absence of the broadcast sheet, you can also contact Marti Autoworks. In the late 1980's, Ford was doing some housecleaning and planned to throw away all the VIN-specific data, production figures, etc. for all the '60s and '70s-era cars and light trucks. However, Kevin Marti from Phoenix, AZ was able to get his hands on all of it, and now for a fee will research your vehicle's VIN (known as a Marti Report), provide a copy of your vehicle's window sticker and build sheet, etc.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
cooper_illinois

Thank you for the info.