Cab light lens gaskets...

Body and Paint-related FAQs
Ranchero50

Cab light lens gaskets...

Post by Ranchero50 »

Started this thread as a companion to by '70 F-350 resto. No one makes this gasket even though the original design is still in production at NAPA.

Yesterday I popped another cab bulb so this evening my oldest and I went on a mission to find foam for new gaskets. I've been searching for a couple weeks without success. So after stopping back out at Autozone for bulbs at $6 a pair we rode over to Hobby Lobby and found some Silly Winks foam sheet. And just like little kids we started making up sentences with Silly Winks in it, good times.

For $2.40 we got a sheet of 5mm black and a sheet of 3mm white. The original gray gasket was 3.5mm thick. No gray in the thicker stuff so we decided to go with white as it should reflect the light better if it would stay below the silver body and black if the gasket was going to be visible.

A new utility knife blade made really quick work of the gaskets. I ended up just using a spare lens and cut about 1/16" wider than the lens. For the inside slot I just punched two 1/2" hole and cut a slot between them. Simple but effective.

It took about 15 minutes to make and install the new gaskets, time well spent.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
72BahamaBlue
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Cab light lens gaskets...

Post by 72BahamaBlue »

Nice repair, looks great.
Good to know about the gasket material, I'll get some for the archives. Good to have a sheet or two.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Thanks for the tip, Jamie!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

:thup:
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Ya know, I just can't believe that no one makes this gasket. I asked the folks at DC and they said they had never been asked about cab lamp gaskets...

They do work well, no condensation in the domes today after getting drowned the last couple days. I do need to trim up one or two and will take some daylight pics when I'm off again.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.