Manual to Automatic swap

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Spediddy

Manual to Automatic swap

Post by Spediddy »

Okay, Ive got a daily driver, 1968 F100 longbed Ranger with a 360FE paired to a Borg Warner T18 4 speed. The transmission is starting to have problems and leaks quite a bit. I am having trouble locating another 4 speed transmission to mate up to the 360 however I can find a used C6 all day long from $125-$325. To have the 4 speed rebuilt, the local transmission shop said that it would be $250 for labor plus parts estimating up to $1200 total. I found a guy on a local craigslist that has a used C6, flexplate, torque converter, Drive Shaft for $200. I don't have the $1200 to rebuild the old transmission so the only other option I can come up with to keep me on the road and stay within budget (around $700) is to switch over to automatic. I know that ill need another steering column, same guy has one for power steering (I have gearbox and pump) for an additional $100. Other than the linkage from steering column to transmission, what else am I missing? What about the transmission mount cross member, will the same one work for the 4 speed and the automatic? I'm just trying to weigh out my options and do as much homework as I can prior to jumping in blindly. Any wisdom passed would be greatly appreciated.
Bill Ramsey
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Manual to Automatic swap

Post by Bill Ramsey »

it would be easy and cheaper to rebuild the transmission yourself. not hard.
1968 Highboy
1976 Highboy
1969 F250 Camper Special
1941 Dodge Power Wagon
1930 Model A Coupe (Hotrod)
1962 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe
VW Sandrails
Honda ATC's
36' Diesel Pusher for roughing it.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

You would also need to make some sort of arrangement for an automatic transmission cooler and lines.

I believe the cross member is the same, but may mount in different holes in the frame, probably best to figure a new transmission mount into the equation.

I don’t know how comfortable I would be with a used automatic off craigslist...

You don’t say what is sort of issues you are having with the T18, but it could be fixable.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Spediddy

Post by Spediddy »

The T18 is having a major vibration in 3rd, jumps out of third as well and leaks too. I have never rebuilt or tore into a transmission before but that doesnt mean I cant give it a whirl. I was just thinking that with my budget, since I can not find another T18 to swap out or afford to have mine rebuilt, for the price of good used C6 and parts for conversion from a donor truck was the way to go. What would rebuilding the T18 consist of and would I need any specialty tools? Ballpark cost of doing so?
Bill Ramsey
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bill Ramsey »

look for a kit that would have new bearings, synchros and seals. and you would probably need a speedi-sleeve for the output shaft, and a clutch kit. there should be diagrams on the net. the hardest part would be getting everything clean. If you really want a C6 conversion, I have everything you need.
1968 Highboy
1976 Highboy
1969 F250 Camper Special
1941 Dodge Power Wagon
1930 Model A Coupe (Hotrod)
1962 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe
VW Sandrails
Honda ATC's
36' Diesel Pusher for roughing it.