NP-435 TO CRUISE-O-MATIC SWAP FLOOR SHIFTER PROBLEMS

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

radioactivelarry

NP-435 TO CRUISE-O-MATIC SWAP FLOOR SHIFTER PROBLEMS

Post by radioactivelarry »

I found a wrecked 67 F-100 that had a 352 and a cruise-o-matic that was factory installed. I bought the cruise-o-matic with all the lines, yoke and everything I thought I would need. I installed it in place of the NP-435 and it was just about a bolt for bolt installation. The tranny fit perfectly to my 390 and I only had to use the yoke from the cruise-o-matic to match up to my drive line.

The problem began when i started looking for a aftermarket floor shifter, it seems no one makes a shifter that is compatible with the cruise-o-matic detents. Lokar, B&M etc. told me they don't make anything compatible with the cruise-o-matic, only C-4 & C-6 and AOD. Their tech guys were no help whatsoever! Can you beat that?

So what do us old hot rodders do for a floor shift for a cruise-o-matic??? I ended up with a B&M shifter with the long cable, however I can only get second gear through park with no low, better than nothing for sure.

Does anyone know of a compatible shifter? I'd like to have low because I pull my boat and low would be ideal for pulling the boat out of the water on the boat ramp.

NOTE: Some people have told me the trans is a FMX as they claim they put those in the 67 trucks and 67 - 68 Mustangs with the FE engines. The tranny is cast iron but looks like a cruise-o-matic like the one in my 64 T-Bird.

Any guru's out there than can give me some advise?

Thanks.....
Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed Lamb.
Ben Franklin.

My Motto: I wish I had less to do, more time to do it in and got paid more for not getting it done.
:drive:
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: NP-435 TO CRUISE-O-MATIC SWAP FLOOR SHIFTER PROBLEMS

Post by cep62 »

I've used the 60s style mustang shifter with a C6 , and made my own linkage rod.
it should be simple to adapt it to a c.o.m. /fmx.

I salvaged a floor shifter out of a Areostar van that looks similar but has a longer handle that should work in a truck.
but I didn't install that yet.
radioactivelarry

Re: NP-435 TO CRUISE-O-MATIC SWAP FLOOR SHIFTER PROBLEMS

Post by radioactivelarry »

I went searching for a Mustang shifter and was not able to find one, so here is the solution, I hope.
I found this one on eBay, guaranteed to fit all. Cruise-o-matic, Ford-o-matic and Merc-o-matic, C-4, C-6, AOD, GM & MOPAR,.
Less then 80 bucks.
Arriving by Friday, will post how well it fits and works..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed Lamb.
Ben Franklin.

My Motto: I wish I had less to do, more time to do it in and got paid more for not getting it done.
:drive: