Lubricating 3spd manual shift column?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

farmallmta

Lubricating 3spd manual shift column?

Post by farmallmta »

Has anybody lubricated their 3spd manual column and have any pointers to share? I'd like to lubricate it with a grease that won't harden in cool temperatures. Bonus points for not having to disassemble the column to lubricate! Tips and tricks invited!
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Lubricating 3spd manual shift column?

Post by sargentrs »

About the only place that really require lubrication are the upper and lower column bearings. Couple of other places that could stand it are down where the shift tube goes through the lever and, on an automatic, where the shift handle presses on the spring loaded plunger in the shift collar. Unfortunately none of these areas can be greased without disassembling the column to some extent. You can spray some lithium grease in the slot where the shift lever in the bottom of the column sits but that's about all that's accessible.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
farmallmta

Thanks!

Post by farmallmta »

Thanks, Sarge! What I needed to know! I'll use white lithium grease if I can find it.