I need help replacing differential side gears please!

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Charrie

I need help replacing differential side gears please!

Post by Charrie »

Hi, I'm new here and hope this is the right place to post this.

I need to replace the side and pinion gears (spider gears) on my 8.8 axle with an open differential and 3.55 gears and 31 spline.
The metal tag on the axle housing reads:
S724S
------------
55 8 8 7J17

I was searching forums and came across this old thread called Setting up an 8.8 by member Elgemcdif
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=67106

In his post he mentions and shows two different types of side gears. That is where I think my issue is..
I called Ford and ordered the gear kit they said I needed. It is part # AL3Z-4215-B
Sorry I don't know how to post pictures here yet, so here is a link from Ebay that shows the gear kit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AL3Z-4215-B-OE ... .l4275.c10

In that Ebay link is a picture of the instruction sheet and it states that:
2- This differential gear kit is for use in 8.8" Hi-Torque (31 Tooth Spline) front IFS/Rear IRS and beam axle assemblies with conventional differentials.

3- The new AL1W-4214-AA springs are installed between the side gear and differential case. Assembly tool is required for instillation of differential gears into differential case. Consult workshop manual. This new spring replaces previous designs containing flat washers or flat washers/wavy washers.

I have the Ford service manual for my 88 E150 van and have read through the entire section on the differential inspection and repair and it shows simply removing the cross pin, pushing the axles in, removing the C-Locks on the axle shaft, pulling the axles out, and then removing the side gears and thrust washers from the carrier case that go between the side gear and carrier case.

So I am confused as to what line 3 means in the instructions about needing a assembly tool.

Here is another picture of the kit from Ebay that shows the parts that are in the plastic bag:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-Rear- ... 0005.m1851

I have no idea what the copper C-clips are for either. They are not shown in my manual. Perhaps they are extra parts if the gears are used in a IFS or IRS type axle?
Searching online I can fond no reference to part #AL1W-4214-AA, the springs mentioned in line #3 of the instructions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Charrie.
Charrie

Re: I need help replacing differential side gears please!

Post by Charrie »

I am going to try to add some pictures so no one will have to go back and forth to the links I posted..
Here is the kit Part# AL3Z-4215-B

Here are the parts out of the plastic bag.

Here are the copper clips I have no clue as to where they would go.

Here is a close-up of one of the side gears.

And here is another pic of the side gear with the thrust washer on it. I believe on the instruction sheet that Ford is calling the thrust washer
Part #AL1w-4214-AA Spring Differential Side Gear. If so then sentence #3 on the instruction sheet says they need a special tool to install them. I thought they just slid on to the back side of the side gear and then you insert the side gear in the carrier housing.

And finally here is the instruction sheet that came with the gear kit.

I think I might have been successful!

Thanks
Charrie
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

The instructions say the circlips are used to retain the half shafts in IRS/IFS assemblies (which is what I was going to guess).

Probably it is difficult to properly compress the wave plates during assembly is why it says a tool is required.

Unfortunately I don’t have experience with these particular parts, hopefully someone who does will be along...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Charrie

Post by Charrie »

Thanks for the helpful reply! It really is because DUH,, I completely missed that sentence with the * for the circlips!

Yes wave plates would be a better word then spring.
That is what I came to the conclusion of after reading your post and watching a video of someone using a homemade tool to spread the side gears while installing the other 2 spider gears in a 9.75.

I think for now it is just a matter of making sure I have the correct parts.
From the 1980 through 1989 master parts list only shows (unless I have missed it too) only shows the side gears and shims.
E7TZ-4236-A ,,, Gear kit (differential side) Use with axle # 720C, 724S, 730D - 1987/
Consists of:
E7TZ-4228-A ,,, Side gear thrust washer replaced by 2L2Z-4228-AA
E7TW-4236-AA ,,, Side Gear

I have not been able to find the original part numbers for the other two gears.
The best I have found so far is E7TZ-4236-A is often listed in a list of superseded part numbers.
Updated numbers
2L1Z-4215-FA
4L3Z-4215-FA
6L2Z-4215-FA
9L3Z-4215-B
AL3Z-4215-B This is the kit Ford said I needed.

The side gears in the AL3Z-4215-B kit have the recess for the circlips if they are used on a IRS set up. That recess is only on the spline teeth themselves and so it still has the raised ridge inside that the axle C locks wold ride on and hold the axle in place. So I am hoping that this is the correct part.
I checked RA and several other ford part sites and they show the same spider gears for a E150 from 1998 - 2014. All the Ford sites list the AL3Z-4215-B kit as fitting. According to the info I found the E150 with a 8.8 also shares the same axle shafts from 88 through 06. They even share the same carrier.
Charrie

Post by Charrie »

oops I meant to add this