1971 F250 CS park & reverse

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

1971CSProject

1971 F250 CS park & reverse

Post by 1971CSProject »

Hi all, have a project truck
It's a 1971 F250 camper special automatic. My problem is, when I put it into Park it actually stays in reverse. I have no idea where to start and what to check. Any help would be very much be appreciative.
I have a whole list of things that need to be fixed. This one, I think is one of the most important on the list. Any ideas where to start. Thank you
:fr:
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1971 F250 CS park & reverse

Post by basketcase0302 »

"1971CSProject" Hi all, have a project truck
It's a 1971 F250 camper special automatic. My problem is, when I put it into Park it actually stays in reverse. I have no idea where to start and what to check. Any help would be very much be appreciative.
I have a whole list of things that need to be fixed. This one, I think is one of the most important on the list. Any ideas where to start. Thank you
Probably need to identify which Ford automatic transmission you have first, (it will probably be either the C-4 or the C-6 usually depending upon which engine is in the truck). There were recalls for the parking pawl in the Ford C-4 automatic transmission / the parking pawl could be worn out if you have a C-6 /also look for plastic bushings at both ends of the shifter linkage rod and if they are worn out / as well as the steering column linkage as a whole / also look at the four rubber cab mounts for the truck as well as the metal cab mounts themselves are they rusted causing the truck to "settle", (if they are worn out it will also cause shifter / transmission issues).
If you get past linkage / bushings and cab mounts it would probably be time to think about having the transmission rebuilt.
Here's how to ID your transmission, (identifying the number of pan bolts is usually the easiest way):
http://www.fordification.com/tech/transID-auto.htm

And the parking pawl is #7A441 that rides on the gear just to the left of it in this image. I can't remember if it's visible once you drop the pan or not-maybe someone else will chime in here for help too.

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
1971CSProject

Post by 1971CSProject »

Thank you basketcase for your response. I did look underneath at the bolt pattern it is a C6. When I was underneath looking at a bolt pattern I noticed a line going in to the tranny just before the U-joint and Driveline me there is a line with a gray not that is cracked I will post a photo soon.
I got sidetracked with other issues with the truck, dome light (fixed) , fuel sending unit had a hole in the float(fixed) and a few other things that I'm working on. I just wanted to take the time to tell you thank you
:fr:
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

You are more than welcome.
The gray nut your describing almost sound like the speedometer cable? :hmm:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4