Transmission crossmember

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Transmission crossmember

Post by fordman »

Ive got a 67 with 302 and a c6 i think. May be a c4. Anyway. My engine is going to be moved back to the small block location instead of the original fe location. Ive got a radiator shroud fan spacer and small block perches.everything i need. I cant remeber if the trans rear crossmember only fits in onne direction or not. This crossmember has been redrilled to accept this transmission mount. I do have other transmission crossmember if i need them. I just cant remember if they can be flipped around or not.
cstoyer

Re: Transmission crossmember

Post by cstoyer »

I don't know if the cross member can be rotated 180 degrees but there is a second hole in the two cross member mounts that will give you an inch or so front to back movement of the cross member itself. The left side of the cross member is drilled for a parking brake cable clamp and the right side is not so being able to flip it doesn't seem right.

cstoyer
68 F250 4x4
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Nice to see you here after all these years my friend. :)

I believe your right. But the "even worse news" is the pain in the butt it is to move the crossmember, (mine was held in by no less than six 3/8" steel rivets that had to be grinded out-guess you could torch them if accurate enough). I documented this but of course photobucket's greed destroyed all of that. Shoot me an emal and I can send you the pics that detail the apparent offset I found and side by side difference of our bump versus dent crossmember-think I wound up using the dent crossmember on BC #16. :hmm:

Luv...dem' SBF / automatics! :fr:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

The rear one goes with the Y part facing the back. Now I remember. Seems to me the cross member that is in there is not for a c6. But probably for a com or mx trans. It looks like a I not a Y. So I'll just change it to a c6 crossmember.