Rebuilt C6, Leaking Around Output Yoke

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Rebuilt C6, Leaking Around Output Yoke

Post by colnago »

Long story short, I rebuilt my 352 engine and C6 transmission. I'm in the process of getting them installed, although both of them are sitting in the truck at this point. I connected all of the plumbing on the tranny, and filled it yesterday (one quart in the TC, 11 quarts in the tranny). This morning, I noticed a puddle under the truck. When I got home, I found that it was leaking around the output yoke (bolt-on yoke, not a slip yoke). I installed a new rear seal. I applied a small amount of tranny fluid to the seal before installing the yoke, and I used a light coating of Permatex around the seal when I installed it. Any idea what's up, or what I can do?

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
DuckRyder

Re: Rebuilt C6, Leaking Around Output Yoke

Post by DuckRyder »

What did the sealing surface on the yoke look like?

How long has it been sitting?

I might be tempted to give it a short run and get it up to temperature to see how bad it was leaking.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

The yoke surface looked fine. No gauling or scratching. It's not show-room fresh; it came out of a '71, but I didn't notice any imperfections or issues. Pre-rebuild, it's probably been sitting ~5 years; post-rebuild, it may have been 3 months.

I should have everything hooked up this weekend. I am also thinking that she may just want to stretch her muscles a bit, and then I can check again for leaks. I really don't feel too enthused about draining the tranny, and putting in a new, new seal. That's why I replaced the seal in the first place! Most likely, the seal itself is fine, but I need to take some emery cloth to the yoke. Grrr!

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I think my rear seal isn't leaking after all. I drove about 40 miles yesterday, and don't seem to have a puddle on the driveway. Is it common for a new/rebuilt tranny to "seal up" after being exercised a bit? My theory is that it had a chance to come to operating temps, and the seal itself had the chance to wipe off any grease/dirt that I missed during assembly, but I'm new to this.

Joseph