Inner seals of 1975 Ford f100 4x4 front axle

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Soonersteve

Inner seals of 1975 Ford f100 4x4 front axle

Post by Soonersteve »

Hey all! Just about ready to dig into replacing the inner seals on my 1975 Ford F100 4x4. I have a leaky front hub and have determined that the fluid leaking is gear oil. So, time to replace the seal. The differential cover tag says "Dana 41A" and I am so excited to see that the seals on this axle are inner seals (unlike my outer seals on the Ford 9 inch). I am pretty sure I got this figured out, but wanted to ask for any pointers/cautions I should be aware of.
Plan looks like this:
1) remove the differential cover and drain the differential fluid
2) remove the front hubs
3) remove the brake backing plate (drum brakes on this guy)
4) remove the spindle
5) remove the axle
6) check the backlash on the differential
7) mark the retainers for proper re-installation
8) remove the differential
9) remove the old seals (doing both sides since I am already there)
10) replace the seals
11) replace the differential
12) revers from 6 up to 1

Here are some questions:
While I am in there, what else should I replace (e.g. bearings)?
Are there any steps that may be tricky or present difficulties for a novice mechanics like myself?

Thanks for your advice!
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Inner seals of 1975 Ford f100 4x4 front axle

Post by basketcase0302 »

I owned a 76' D44 for over 30 years, (running most of the time in submerged swampland's of Florida) and maintained it throughout all those years. I'd have either a bucket of diesel fuel, (what I always used as you keep reusing the same five gallon bucket for years and years on the hubs) or a parts cleaner nearby as you won't believe how nasty and corroded the axle shafts and all the pieces of the ring & pinion and case will be-and have lots...of rags ready LOL! Counting the shims I removed from each side and re-installing it the same way with the correct torque on the bearing caps never failed me-but measure backlash if you prefer using die marking compound. You'll find the inner axle seal inboard just inside the axle tube from the R & P gears and having a long piece of pipe, (sorry don't remember the diameter I used) to drive the seal out. I always applied silicone where the new seal meets the axle tube. You will need snap ring pliers, (assuming you have them already if you've ever torn into the outer hubs before). And look very closely at the wear on the inner axle shafts, (where the seal meets / runs on it) as this is a common issue-having the shaft worn down not being able to seal requiring new inner shafts.

This might help too: :thup:

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Soonersteve

Post by Soonersteve »

Thanks basketcase. Should I replace the bearings too, or is that going to create a headache with backlash when putting everything back together?
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

I would have the bearing on hand but if memory serves me correct they have to be pressed onto and off of the carrier, (with a bearing press)?
Maybe someone else can confirm this. But yes typically once you change the bearings you've changed the backlash. Once you set the backlash on one set of gears / axle it's really not that big of a deal. Just take your time / recheck your torque / use locktite on the carrier bolts (yeah this is one of the challenging parts as you have already applied a light coat of oil on the bearings-yet need the locktite to go on clean threads). I have an awesome PDF file D-60 service manual, (they are worth their weight in gold as you'll find all your torque numbers and tricks in them. Here's on for the D-44:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DANA-44-SPICER- ... 0802406078
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4