NP435 Rebuild Trouble

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

FordManSteve

NP435 Rebuild Trouble

Post by FordManSteve »

Hello all! I've recently received my Novak NP435 master rebuild kit. I've purchased all tools which were recommended by folks on this forum and also in the Novak guide.

I am posting this because I've run into a stumbling block. I cannot get the input shaft tapered bearing off of the input shaft with my bearing/gear pullers. :help:

This is the bearing I speak of (circled in blue):

Here is an image of me trying to pull the bearing off of the shaft with my modified bearing/gear pullers:

Here is the outer piece of the bearing which I tore off:

Here is the shaft now with the inner race of the bearing stuck on the shaft:

My question is:

Is there any way to get this bearing off without either grinding it off or buying a press of some sort?

Thanks for your assistance!
Last edited by FordManSteve on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric46

Re: NP435 Rebuild Trouble

Post by Eric46 »

FordManSteve,

Your images didn't post...

Do you have access to a press and a bearing splitter?

Eric
1970 F-250 4x4
FordManSteve

Post by FordManSteve »

Hey Eric,

I do not have a press or splitter. How does a splitter work?

I'm thinking about cutting the race off with a dremmel.

Also, I'm seeing the pictures on my side. I'm wondering if Google was having trouble loading them when you viewed them yesterday.

Thanks for the response!
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

FordManSteve

I had to heat mine to get it of the shaft but it did come off. The real trick is getting the other part of the bearing out of the input shaft retainer. I just ordered a new retainer from Novak for $30 buck and didn't bother with it.

CStoyer
68 F250 4x4
FordManSteve

Post by FordManSteve »

Thanks! I'll give the propane torch a try. Were you able to press the new bearing on with relative ease?
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

When doing the trans,underdrive and t-case I did this :2cents:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 14&t=79151
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
Eric46

Post by Eric46 »

FordManSteve,

Bearing splitter: http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/be ... 134251_0_0

I didn't have any problems pressing the shaft out of the old bearing and a new bearing onto the shaft...hyd press is key.

Second the recommendation buy a new input shaft bearing retainer. Novak has them in stock,

Eric
1970 F-250 4x4
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

ii can't see your pictures for whatever reason but I use a sharp chisel and drive it in between the inner race and the shoulder.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
FordManSteve

Post by FordManSteve »

Hey all,

Thanks for your assistance. These are some great suggestions.

I have decided to take the input shaft to a machine shop. I've pulled on it all weekend, but cannot get the bearing off. I'll just save some time and get those guys to press it off and press the new one on.

However, I've come upon a new issue! This stumbling block is worse than the last.

When I tore down the trans I found the two "half snap rings" had been damaged. One had even come off and was floating free in the gear oil.

I tried to get the new ones on the shaft when I began my reassembly.

I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME get these half snap rings on after second gear.
Apparently they are supposed to slide clip in with relative ease.

The problem is that second gear sits about 1mm too high. I cannot get these snap rings in. I've tried channel locks, chisels, vice grips, hammers.

I even made the error of filing them down with an angle grinder. I an get them in a little ways, but then they start bending. It all just seems very WRONG.

I fear I may have to buy a new main shaft. I've found wear on the shaft journal where the 3rd gear pops on. You can see it in the photo.

Has anyone else run into this issue? should I order a new main shaft and/or gears?

Thanks again. Your advice has been indispensable.
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

FordManSteve

I would consider replacing the main shaft after seeing the condition its in and your doing a rebuild anyway. I'm guessing this is a result of the half snap rings coming apart or is there something else going on? How does the bore of the gear look? The half snap rings in my rebuild kit fit my shaft during the rebuild so I'm not sure why yours wouldn't. However they do require a pair of pliers to snap them back together so keep that in mind. Also, Novak does a good job a customer support so don't hesitate to give them a call as they know the NP435.

CStoyer
68 F250 4x4
FordManSteve

Post by FordManSteve »

I've looked at the gear bore of 3rd and 2nd. Both are damaged along with the main shaft.

A little History:

The previous owner bought the truck after a kid tried to tow it from CO to NC without taking the drive shaft out. The result was a blown 390. I think he tried towing it in gear... either that or the NP435 engaged somehow. The trans made it out of the predicament ok, but always popped out of second and made a lot of noise. Now I know why.

I'm going to buy a new main shaft, 2nd gear, and 3rd gear. I'm going to buy from AUTOPLICITY. It seems to have the cheapest parts.. I'm a bit leery after reading reviews, but figure I'll take the chance as I'll save a good bit.

Bad Second Gear:

Bad Third Gear:

Bad Main Shaft:

Thanks for all of the help! I'll keep updating on the rebuild.
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

FordManSteve

Yep, you cant tow a vehicle with a NP435 even if it is in neutral because the main will spin without the help of the gears to sling oil and keep it lubed. I'm actually surprised it didn't weld itself together over that distance. It's best to pull the drive shaft or flat bed tow a NP435 equipped vehicle. Let us know of the gears and shaft work out.

CStoyer
68 F250 4x4
FordManSteve

Post by FordManSteve »

Hello all,

Just wanted to post an update. The transmission is in the vehicle. It took alot of effort to get it lined up and pushed in. I ended up having to cut the heads off of four bolts to create "spline liners." Getting the trans in was by far the hardest part of this job as I was working in the dirt on a couple of pieces of plywood.

The new main shaft and third gear slid right on. The new clips I ordered popped right in.

I want to thank all of you for helping me get this job done. I could not have done it without your help! :fr:

I took this image to show where the anti-rattle springs go. You can see it if you look carefully here. I wanted to get a decent picture because I could not find one online. You can see it on the fourth spline from the right:

completed shaft:

checking tolerances with feeler gauges:

The old brown beast rides again:

cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

Not sure why, but your pictures do not show up for me.

cstoyer
68 F250 4x4
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I can see the old photos, but not the August and October photos.

But you're right: :fr:

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.