Screwed Up and Need Some Advice

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Cal2121

Screwed Up and Need Some Advice

Post by Cal2121 »

I have a 68 F250 CS with a 390 and C6. I cracked a piece of the bell-housing off while mating my engine to the transmission. I'm wondering what is the best route to remedy the situation. The 390 is freshly rebuilt but the transmission is not. Can it be welded? Should I just find a rebuilt transmission and replace it?

Thanks.
Ranchero50

Re: Screwed Up and Need Some Advice

Post by Ranchero50 »

You can get it welded. Some will say you can't. Some will say it won't hold. But if done properly it will. Most fab shops won't want to do it so expect the above excuses. Since it's aluminum it will be expensive. Costs more with the guys who don't want to do it so shop around.

You will need a spare block to use a a jig to bolt the trans to while the piece is welded in place. Process is pretty simple. Grind out a deep 'V' on one side. Pre heat the metal to @500` then Mig or Tig the V shut. Wrap it in an insulated blanket and let it cool off. Remove trans from motor, V out the inside to the new weld. Then reheat it and weld the valley flush.

I'd be more concerned about what you did to the rotating assy while breaking the bell housing.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
markguiver

Re: Screwed Up and Need Some Advice

Post by markguiver »

I've had it done on mine. I broke one of the tabs off when I put the new motor in back in 2002. I lowered the jack too much trying to get the trans aligned with the 2 top bolts installed and broke the top left tab. Pulled the trans and took it down to a local transmission shop I had done business with before. I thought I was going to need a new case but, the owner of the transmission shop turned me on to a welding shop a couple of doors down. The welding shop owner welded it up in about 15 minutes while I waited. IIRC he charged me $40.00. Still holding after 15 years.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport