not starting, C6 shifter lever issue?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

not starting, C6 shifter lever issue?

Post by Zorm »

Got a 71 Camper Special that I am working on. A few months ago I swapped out the points for a petronix system. slapped in new plug wires, and got the blaster coil. Started the ole girl up and she was purring.

FF to now, rebuilding the front suspension, everything is off and getting powder coated, I thought I would fire her off again just to keep the engine rotated. Connected the batt, has a good charge, turned the key and nothing, no even a crank or sound from the starter sol. I have power, lights come on. I was able to start the truck in park and neutral before, but now, nothing in either position. Shifter lever is loose anyway on the tranny not sure if that is effecting this issue. Besides maybe that, any thoughts to look for anything else? Looking at the shift arm on the C6 tranny, does it move up to go from part to drive or down? I want to see if maybe I am binding in the at the shift lever or in the steering column.
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: not starting, C6 shifter lever issue?

Post by BobbyFord »

Can you jump the solenoid?
Maybe adjust the neutral safety switch.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: not starting, C6 shifter lever issue?

Post by colnago »

Up is Park, but even if you were binding, you shoulg get something from the starter. I would suspect the neutral safety switch. Mine is really finicky. Sometimes I have to jiggle the lever for it to start. Do you get any power to the coil?

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.